Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just Can't figure it out

• Please log in to reply

Mike11418

Mike11418

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey guys, I just got a replacement MOBO and this one doesn't work either!. What are teh tests that i have to do to determine whether its the MOBO, HD, Video Card etc. that is causing no signal to my monitor?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two "dead" boards are indicative of a faulty power supply. How big is your power supply?
You have plugged the 12v 4pin connector in from the PSU I take it and plugged in the 6pin connector to the graphics card if it needs one?

Mike11418

Mike11418

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
600W OCZ PSU..........and the graphics card I have doesn't need any additional power connections. The graphics card i inserted was actually just to test whether or not the integrated MOBO was the problem but since i can't get any connections with a non integrated video card what could be the reasons for my troubles? The fan on the video card is working so does that mean the MOBO is fine? Somebody please help this is frustrating!

Edited by Mike11418, 16 November 2007 - 07:04 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
What motherboard do you have and what processor do you have?
You do still have the odd situation where a board wont' post if it doesn't recognise the processor. Rare but not unheard of.

Mike11418

Mike11418

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 65W Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
According to Gigabyte site, your processor is only recognised after a BIOS version F3 or later. It's possible that the boards you've had are older (but brand new) stock that have an older BIOS revision on it. However this usually isn't a problem as most boards pop up a message on screen that there CPU is unrecognised.

Now having said that, its possible that you have a duff processor. Rare, but unlikely.
Try resetting the CMOS as well.
Failing that, the only possible culprits are a board with an old BIOS version that doesn't post if it doesn't recognise the processor, duff power supply, duff processor itself or possibly another duff board.
If any of this stuff is under warranty, use it or get your money back.