Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HelP....."NTDLR Missing, DISK BOOTFAILURE"

• Please log in to reply

Alantrini

Alantrini

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer was slowing down so I ran Adawre and it picked up 25 high risk Malware, whilst cleaning it it told me I have to reboot in order to complete the process of removing the malware. When I rebooted this message came up in the DOS screen
"NTLDR is missing,press any key
then when I hit enter this 2nd message came up
Disk Boot failure, insert System Disk + Press Enter
WHen I put in my Win XP Pro, and reached Recovery and selcted option 1 and then the screen just went into the DOS prompt, I then typed "FIXMBR" and in less than second
it said New boot sector was successfully written,
But when I rebooted I keep getting NTDRL is missing press any key, then DISK BOOT FAILURE, insert SYSTEM DISK, I went Iput back the XP CD and it go to the Recovery section it just goes back on the C: prompt, when I type DIr, it says the volume has no label Serial 000-0000
Directory of C:\
No Matching files found
When I try to change the dir to C:\iwindows or any other directory I had it says the system cannot the sprecified file ot directory specified.
I then remove the drive and hooked it directly to the mothrboard of another PC and when that PC booted from its original drive it recognised my drive as E:\ clicked on it in FIle Propertys it said Used space 0 Bytes free space 10Mb
I then ran a program called ****** DAta Recovery Wizard and it recognised the drive as as stated it was (FAT12), it checked the correct size and was able to show the contents of the Drive and I was able to transfer aot of Data to the other PC C:\drive to save.
But still whe I put my drive back into my own PC, it keeps giving that NTDRL missing and when I reach as far as the Windows recovery it just goes back to the C: prompt (even when I selct 1.
I have alot of inportant programs and stuff on this drive and would prefer not to format it or erase everything.
Please tell me how I can get Windows to start back up again.
Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

Alantrini

Alantrini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
PLEASE! PLEASE !
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME IM DESPERATE, FEELING TO THROW MYSELF AND THIS WHOLE SYSTEM OUT THE WINDOW AND BUY NEW ONE

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This is the usual way to fix NTLDR or NTDETECT error messages:

Get to Recovery console with your xp disk and at the prompt type:

COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C: press Enter
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C: press Enter.

Note: X should be replaced by the drive letter of the CD drive in which the disk is.

Take out the CD and type exit.

If this doesn't fix the problem, or if you can't reach c:\windows directory, then I am afraid that your MBR is corrupted, possibly by a failed fixmbr process. Please try, at the command prompt, fixboot and report if any of these worked.

Alantrini

Alantrini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
I chose option: Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.

Prompt.....C:\ appears
I Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "D". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Then I get this message
Thevolume does not contain a recognised fil system. Please mak sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and thatthe Volume is not corrupted
0 Files copied

Then I type Chkdsk C:\
and I get this message
The type of File system is RAW
Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives

Prior to this I did fun fixmbr and fixboot and that is when all the trouble started
Bill Gates should be hung upsided down from the Empire State Bldg by his toes for producing a command and a vulnerable OS like windows
I hate Windows if its NOT one PROBLEM its ALOT :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know of any free tool that can fix this problem but there are many for which you have to pay. There are some data recovery programs which are free and enable recovery of your files.

NTLDR, apperantly, can be the result of several causes. Quite often it's easy to fix with the commands I wrote to you. At other times it's virtually impossible. Sometime ago we had a very interesting topic about how to fix the operating system of an old laptop. I simulated a procedure which was offered by one of the participants on an old disk. At some point I got NTLDR which stopped me from approaching the disk. Nothing I tried helped. I couldn't even format and reinstall XP. The only way in which I succeeded to save the disk was to boot to DOS, run FDISK, delete partitions, recreate partitions and format to FAT 32. Only then could I install xp, reformating to NTFS in the process.

Alantrini

Alantrini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I cant afford the Geek Squad
When I try to reinstall Win XP it tell me my Hdrive is only 0Mb and that Windows also cannot install there
It also give me the otion to delete this 10Mb Partition whic is the only One seen by the Windows install Disk
I think that the fact that Chkdsk see my Disk as RAW cud mean that the files sys was wiped How I dont know?
I have used Norton Disk Dotor and several other well kno brands bu none did the Job like a Program called Easeus Data Recovery Wizard"......It saw all the files on my Drive and I was able to transfer all my stored files easily, the only fies it said were damaged was files called Boot.ini., Bootex.log on the C;\ root frive.
All others were intact, Iwas able to remove them to another Drive , ut I cant delete them or transfer files back to my damaged drive. Also in the column where it states the File system it there was a ? mark as it cud not recognised it.
Im feel better that I have recovered my stored files, but alot of Programs I had like Adobe and Maya and , I donthave the CDs for and it wont make much sense having files that cant be read.

Is there any Tool out there that can Fix RAW drive and restore the file structure of a drive?

Is there anyone out there who can HELP A 62 year old fustrated man ,who is ready to Exoire with his PC.?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try this procedure if you can reach Recopvery Console. This will repair registry hives:

Adapted from Microsoft article 307545

This should not be attempted on xp OEM.

Repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

terryleo

terryleo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i did not use norton disk doctor, i used easeus data recovery, it was good and worked perfect with low price. I brought it from a websit (http://www.partition-software.com)which offered discount software.
The data recovery wizard could recover files even if your system is crashed.