Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading video card & PSU

• Please log in to reply

six trees

six trees

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi I'm not to tech savy, but I think I can do some upgrading on my own.
First I will state my system specs.
emachines T6520 with the radeon xpress 200 motherboard/vid card
http://reviews.cnet....7-31466280.html
I haven't been able to play any new games for a while.
So I want to upgrade to a x1950 pro video card. I don't think the current PSU will be able to handle this card. I want to upgrade to a 550 watt PSU just in case I want to crossfire in the future.
I have been trying to figure out which PSU will be compatiable with my system. I can't figure out what I have or what I need. I can't figure out if I need a SATA, or 20, 24 pin.
I chatted with gateway support, they found a unit that would work 550 watts (pcie power cord for video card) for $97.50.
They wouldn't tell me what brand or any more info, they just wanted me to buy it. Is this an OK deal?
I have been trying to figure this out for a couple days now and am getting frustrated.
Any info or help would be great.

Edited by six trees, 15 November 2007 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
How powerful is your current PSU?

six trees

six trees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
115/230 volts, 7/3.5A, 50/60HZ
I'm not sure but I think that would be 402 watts.

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
How much are you willing to pay for a new PSU?

And have you had a look at the Nvidia graphics cards?

six trees

six trees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was thinking around $60, give or take.
Yeah, I read reviews for a while on different cards. I found people had fewer problems with the x1950 pro or xtx, than other cards. I'm not concerned about overclocking, I just want a card that has very few issues, and not to much lagging.
I hope to play elder scrolls IV, WOW, half life 2.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I think the HD3850 might interest you. Very good card for the price, even better if you overclock.
How much are you willing to spend on both the GPU and PSU?
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 November 2007 - 03:42 PM.

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

I was thinking around $60, give or take.
Yeah, I read reviews for a while on different cards. I found people had fewer problems with the x1950 pro or xtx, than other cards. I'm not concerned about overclocking, I just want a card that has very few issues, and not to much lagging.
I hope to play elder scrolls IV, WOW, half life 2.

An Nvidia 7600 would allow you to play those game at close to max if not max settings, i have one and i've played HL2 and WoW at max settings, with 2 7600gt's in SLI you could play Elder Scrolls IV on max settings.

six trees

six trees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Now I am thinking I will just get a VC that will work with my current PSU. I would rather not spend more than $200.

does anyone know how many watts are needed for this hd3850 card?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102714

As for nividia cards, I have just heard they have alot of issues.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'd go with this brand if you plan on purchasing the HD3850.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161211

Under load this card requires ~190 watts.
Do you know either the model number of your PSU or the amount of amps on your 12V rail.

zoneykid: The fact that you can play games at max settings is irrelevant unless you know what resolution six trees is playing at.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 November 2007 - 02:04 AM.

six trees

six trees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
James it looks like this card needs 450 watts or more to run. I have been looking at many VC's at different sites, and some manufacturers list the watts that are needed, and some don't. Why isn't this standard to list watts required in the specs.?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Look at review sites such as anandtech. Most of the manufacture sites don't list power consumption correct and sellers such as newegg often have mistakes in there specs.
Do you know either the model number of your PSU or the amount of amps on your 12V rail.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 November 2007 - 02:07 PM.

six trees

six trees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So I just bought a 550W PSU with PCIE power cable, through gateway support.
$97.50, I just got tired of trying to figure out which PSU would be the right one for my case.
So now I need to decide on a video card. Do you think it would be wise to buy one of the first wave of HD 3850? Do you think they will have issues?
Now that I will have the power I have more choices, what about the x1950 pro in crossfire, or one x1950xtx?
Looking at manufacturers which are best GECUBE, sapphire, Diamond, etc.?
I only want to spend around $200, so maybe one x1950 now, and one later for crossfire when needed.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Do you think it would be wise to buy one of the first wave of HD 3850? Do you think they will have issues?

No there won't be any issues, though till catalyst 7.11 is out, these cards will only have beta drivers.

I wouldn't run x1900xt is crossfire, I doubt your PSU will have the required PCIe connectors to do so, never mind the amps required to do it.

Till you recieve the PSU, I really couldn't tell you what cards you will be able to power.

I personally wouldn't have bought a PSU through gateway as the tech support porbably don't know what they are talking about and are probably just trying to grab some more money from you.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 November 2007 - 03:42 PM.

six trees

six trees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just recieved my invoice and it looks like I overpaid around $20-$30.
this is the CPU they are sending me.
550W PRO ATX12V 2.01 PS W/ PCI EXPRESS

http://www.buy.com/r...amp;dcaid=15894

It doesn't look like I will be able to run crossfire. Only one PCIE connector.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid paying more than nesecessary. But I'm getting impatient.

six trees

six trees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My mistake the 2.01 does have two PCIE connectors.

http://www.gateway.c...t...7927&seg=hm

Decisions...Decisions...