Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slave Drive Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

PrissyKrissy

PrissyKrissy

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
:) Hi All!

I installed a new HD in my DELL Dimension 4100 desk top computer and also put the old HD in as a slave. I've already set the jumpers and both HD's are on the same ribbon. The bios recognizes both drives but windows does not recognize the slave drive. Only in windows explorer search can it be found in the Look In Window drop down.

Local Hard Drive (C:)
3 1/2 Floppy (A:)
Local Disk (C:)
Compact Disc (D:)

Could not change the drive letter in device manager. How do I resolve this issue?

The reason for installing the old HD as a slave is because it wouldn't boot windows. The problem was bad FAT32 partition. I want to retrieve the files from this drive. Is this possible and how?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Go to control panel > administrative tools > computer managment > disk managment. If you see the missing disk there right click on it and choose "open". Can you see the content now?

2: Jumper both disks as cable select. Make sure the "good"disk is attached to the end connector.

3: If you have another IDE connection in your computer move the disk to the second ribbon, jumper correctly and see if it's recognised.

Let us know if this helped.

PrissyKrissy

PrissyKrissy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The computer I am working on now has windows me installed. Windows me doesn't have administrative tools. I'm sorry that I neglected to give that information in the original posting.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try the other two options I wrote. Unfortunately it's a long time since I used Win Me.