Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Security suddenly doesn't see my firewall or antivirus?

• Please log in to reply

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has run into this:

I've set up several new machines lately, all basically the same, running Windows XP pro. I install Zone Alarm Pro and Kaspersky anti virus, and at first the Windows Security panel sees both of them. Under "Firewall" it shows Zone Alarm, and under "Anti-Virus" it shows Kaspersky. After a while though, it suddenly doesn't see either of them and starts giving me security alerts. I've confirmed they're both working (ZoneAlarm still stops attempted connections, and Kaspersky finds viruses when I test it on a known infected item), Windows just stops recognizing them. I've checked the selections in the security panel telling Windows I'll monitor them myself so I don't get security alerts from XP any more, but I'm wondering why this happens? Only common thread I can find is it seems to happen soon after I install Diskeeper, a hard drive defrag/monitoring utility.

Anyone know what this is, or if it's anything to worry about?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
After doing some research on 'Google' your particular problem is apparently not unusual, other ZoneAlarm users having the same issue after installing a program of one kind or another, previous to which the Security Centre did show third-party security applications as being installed but then issuing a warning later on.

I can assure you, however, that there's nothing to worry about provided you do have both applications installed and they are functioning properly.
Your problem is not isolated and a future update to both ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky may well fix the problem , which is simply an annoyance rather than a problem -- one which, thankfully, can be 'disabled and ignored' if necessary, as you already have done.

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for confirming that. I just thought it was weird because XP security was happy with Zonealarm for a while, THEN started having issues. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an indication of something else!

Thanks...