Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble Downloading after Windows 98 Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

paintguy

paintguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi -- this is my first post here and I wanted to thank anyone who helps me in advance for their time. It is a valuable forum where people with limited computer knowledge can come and get help! THANK YOU All!

Ok, here is my problem:

I was having trouble opening Outlook Express so finally I reinstalled Windows 98 and that fixed my OE problem.
But, now when I try to download a program off the Internet nothing happens -- IE icon at right top of page just spins and spins -- no download box pops-up to ask me if I would like to open now or save to disk?? For example, I went to microsoft.com to download the upgrade for IE 6 (the service pack) and when I click "downlaod now" a window pops-up that looks like a browser window but isn't -- it says at the top left of the [blank] window "Microsoft Internet Explorer" with a little file folder preceeding it. That window just stays there blank with the mouse pointer with the hourglass??
I tried to go through my IE settings in options and could not find anything to change?
Oh, I originally thought to download an updated version of IE because when I visit certain sites I can not use certain web functions -- it says that my browser does not support them? I had no trouble on these sites before reinstalling windows 98. I have a feeling it is some IE browser setting, but don't know which one.
Any and All help resolving this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Edited by paintguy, 16 November 2007 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi paintguy

The quickest fix would be to use a different web-browser such as 'Firefox', which is in any case much safer than using IE as, unlike IE, it doesn't use 'ActiveX' which is often employed to get malware onto your PC.
Firefox is free and you can download it from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A lot of internet sits don't work with anything other than Internet Explorer 6 because the web has changed a lot since the days of Windows 98 came out and the older browsers that came with it are just not capable anymore, to be blunt about it. Therefore a strong recommendation is an upgrade to IE6 ASAP.

Eventually the web will turn to a point where the majority of sites will just not work with IE6 anymore, and as IE7 is currently only available on XP SP2... well you can probably guess where I'm going with this.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 November 2007 - 05:33 AM.

paintguy

paintguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok -- I was successful in downloading and installing Firefox. I used to use that and never thought to start using it again.
Thank you both for replying and helping me here.
I do really want to upgrade my whole system and get Vista. Anybody have any recommendations? Is Vista good?
Thanks again!!

Edited by paintguy, 18 November 2007 - 08:28 AM.