Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Screen Glitch...Half Screen Workiing

• Please log in to reply

GlobalNomads

GlobalNomads

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My Dell Inspiron 9100 (Windows SP2) opened yesterday with only the left half of the screen working. It is evenly divided and the right half looks like it is trying to work the problem out (maybe wishful thinking on my part).
The "bad" side will alternate from a series of colored lines (both wide and narrow) and flicker....eventually it will just go dark. A few times it has taken the background picture and stabilzed it (fuzzy) but has put a wide 2" stripe of down the middle of the screen separating the working half from the other.
We can move all our windows to the left side and narrow them and work without any other problems.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is either the cable connection between the screen abd the main laptop. or the backlight may have gone bad. Some newer laptop screens use more than one backlight. I have seldom seen only partial backlights fail so most likely your cable has been pinched or something like that.

SRX660