Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Timings on an ASUS Limestone MB

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi I just bought 2GB of Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHZ RAM and installed it into my system. Now, when I go into the BIOS to adjust the timings, all of the RAM settings are grayed out. It shows what RAM I have, but it doesn't let me enter anything, everything is just grayed out and I can't adjust anything. Has anyone ever had this problem before, or anyone know what I can do to fix this? Surely I can tweak my RAM somehow.

Thanks!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
In my mobo (EVGA 680i), you need to change the RAM timing setting from Auto to Manual, and then go to the RAM timings menu and they will be un-grayed. Look around and see if you can't find something like this. :)

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No I've looked through the entire BIOS and there is nothing that lets me change the RAM timings. In fact I don't even see any options like it, and the only thing referring to RAM in the entire BIOS is just a short, written out description of the RAM (ie 2048 PC-5300, 1024 etc). I think it may just be that this BIOS doesn't allow me to change anything like that, is there any way to get a new BIOS? I'm not sure what BIOS I have but it says Phoenix Award BIOS Setup at the top, or something to that effect.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Could you give the exact model # of your mobo?

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ASUS Limestone P5LP-LE

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Is this a mobo you bought yourself, or did it come with your computer? If it is the latter, what brand is your computer?

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
It came with the computer I bought, 2 years ago. It was manufactured by HP. =\

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Unfortunately, HP disabled the advanced features such as overclocking and RAM timings on your motherboard. This can possibly be undone by flashing to a different BIOS, but this is unsupported and would void your warranty.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well, I may be willing to do that, or at least look into it. Could you give me a link to where I would start? Like how to flash to a different BIOS and which one I would need? Thanks for all your help so far, really appreciated.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Let's try something else first:

Are you currently pressing F1 to enter the BIOS? If so, try pressing F11 or F8 instead. Not sure if this will help, but it can't hurt to try. :)

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
F11 just leads me into the same BIOS, F8 doesn't work. I tried all the other F buttons as well.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

This can possibly be undone by flashing to a different BIOS, but this is unsupported and would void your warranty.

If your refuring to flashing the BIOS using the BIOS of a different manufacture/model, this is corrupt your (gambLe1109) BIOS forcing you to buy a new one.
A BIOS is created for a sole model, and one model only, don't try to run the BIOS of one model, on a different model.

HP has locked these features to prevent users from fooling around with settings and thus causing HP more tech support calls. So to reduce calls and costs, the overclocking features have been disabled and I doubt any version of your BIOS will enable them. The only HP's that might have the BIOS disabled would be the VooDoo PC's, but they start around $2,500.

James

Edited by james_8970, 17 November 2007 - 02:17 PM.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I think I'm going to buy the eVGA 680i to save some trouble.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I don't think it's a good use of your money to buy a $250 mobo to just tighten some memory timings... It would be a better use of that money to buy, say, a 8800gt (if you are a gamer).

And as for what James said, I was actually referring to "hacked" BIOSes... In which someone uses a BIOS editor to unlock the overclocking options. However, I was unable to find one for gamble's mobo. But, James is incorrect about not being able to use BIOSes meant for other motherboards. While for the most part this is true, it is not always the case. Plenty of people on the EVGA forums talk about using the EVGA 680i BIOS on a EVGA 680i LT board (which has its own BIOS). Also, my friend has an MSI 680i, but he uses the EVGA 680i BIOS.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There are some exceptions to the rule, but it's not worth fooling around with. The risk is a way to large for the minimal, if any, gains achieved by doing so.
As for these hacked BIOS, I have never used nor heard of them, though keep in mind the hardware from OEM's is not as hardy as, say parts from OCZ or EVGA.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 09:03 PM.