Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to PC building, not sure what PC case, Case Fans, or Power supply

Best Answer phillpower2 , 29 February 2024 - 05:47 AM

It's my first time building a PC and I'm thinking of using it for gaming, 3d animation, AI, and machine learning, but I don't have a clue as to what case, fans, or power supply I need to make this... Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

78janeta

78janeta

• Pip
  • 1 posts

It's my first time building a PC and I'm thinking of using it for gaming, 3d animation, AI, and machine learning, but I don't have a clue as to what case, fans, or power supply I need to make this build well-refrigerated and hopefully marketable as well if I ever want to sell it in the future (the reason for the RGB CPU cooler and RAM sticks).

This is what I'm thinking for the build:

Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E ACE EATX Gaming Motherboard (AMD AM5, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, Wi-Fi 6E, HDMI/DP, Dual LAN, SLI, EATX)

- It has 3 GPU slots if I would ever want to get another GPU.

- The chip socket is AM5 which I heard will work with the next-gen AMD processors.

- It has lots of SATA and NVMe memory expansion lots (If I ever want to get more storage).

- It has USB 3.2 ports that could work with VR for my Oculus Quest 2.

- Wireless Wi-Fi!

- I think this could all help with its marketability if I ever want to sell it.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 7950X3D

- Newest generation CPU from AMD.

- I heard that it has a burning/melting problem, but I also heard that you would only need to update your BIOS to prevent that.

- Faster clock base clock speed than the Intel Core i9 14900k or the 13900k. (Not sure how overclocking works)

- Faster RAM I think it can manage 128Gb RAM (2x2 of 5200mhz) which is useful for AI, machine learning, and gaming.

CPU cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB CPU Air Cooler

- I’m pretty sure that if I try to set up a liquid cooling system I’ll mess up and fry thousands of dollars’ worth of PC components.

- RGB lights which could hopefully help with its marketability

- I heard that it’s the best air CPU cooler (for its cooling capabilities).

GPUs: 2 used RTX 3090s

- Has more VRAM and is less expensive than a single RTX 4090 which is useful for animation and gaming (NVLink), and extremely useful for AI and machine learning.

RAM: 2x (Patriot Viper Venom RGB DDR5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 5200MHz UDIMM Desktop Gaming Memory KIT - PVVR564G520C40K)

- 128 Gb total.

- Should work with the base clock speed of a Ryzen 9 7950x3d.

- RGB lights

Memory: 2x (VP4300 Lite M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 Gaming SSD 4TB)

- TONS of storage

- 7400MB/s read speed, 6000MB/s write speed.

- Good price for 4Tb

Case fans:

- I’m thinking of getting RGB ball Bering fans since I heard that they last long and have good static pressure, but I don’t know how many and which brand I should use for this build.

- I don't mind the noise that the fans could produce, what I'd like most for the dans would be some that will last, and that cool well.

Case: I’m thinking of getting a black case because of the color of the motherboard, RAM, CPU cooler, and GPU, and with at least 1 transparent side (to be able to see the inside of the case), but I care more about what would cool the pc the best.

Power Supply: I’m not sure how much wattage the fans will need.

Thermal paste: whatever has the most reviews on Amazon/newegg

The closest I got to this build in Pangoly: https://pangoly.com/...YjesDK6iPM4ipGY

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
✓  Best Answer
It's my first time building a PC and I'm thinking of using it for gaming, 3d animation, AI, and machine learning, but I don't have a clue as to what case, fans, or power supply I need to make this build well-refrigerated and hopefully marketable as well if I ever want to sell it in the future

You don`t build a computer based on possible resale value you future proof it when putting the parts together so that  ( A ) you won`t need to do it all again in the next couple of years and ( B ) you make sure that the specs exceed by as much as possible the requirements that any programs you intend to run state in their system requirement statement.

The build at your link is very nice but there is a lot of hearsay in your OP and there is a very good chance that you can save yourself a sizeable chunk of cash by going another route.

What are the programs that you want to be able to run.

Fwiw, there are only downsides to new PC hardware, it can be expensive and especially GPUs and you will never even get close to getting your money back, reasons for this, tech advances quickly and people don't like spending money on things when they have no idea as to how the stuff has been treated.

Aspiring Dude

Aspiring Dude

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi there, its 78janeta, I forgot to save my password for the account so I'm answering you with this one. Thank you for informing me about its ability to be resold. I still think I'd be using this pc for several years in the future. Is there any way that I could improve this build? Should RGB only be included out of preference? Anyhow these are the software that I'd use with it:

AI software:

- Test-Generation-WebUI
- Stable Diffusion

Animation software that I'd use on the setup:
- Blender
- Houdini

Games That I'd like to play with this setup:
- Starfield
- Star Citizen
- Cyberpunk 2077

I don't really care about the sound that it makes, but I don't know which fans or case I'd need for good cooling. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi there, its 78janeta, I forgot to save my password for the account so I'm answering you with this one

Sorry but as per the GtG Terms of Use members are only permitted to have one account and you should have reset your password rather than create another account.

Please reset your password for the first account so that the second account can be safely deleted.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Other than banning spammers there is no way for me to delete accounts, only admins have the required permissions to do that.

Can I ask why you created yet another account when you had already saved the password for the Aspiring Dude account. 

Aspiring Dude

Aspiring Dude

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I thought that I only saved it on my clipboard, before shutting down my pc, but I found it. So... what do I do now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Stick to using the Aspiring Dude account, the other two accounts will be taken care of either by admin or by other means, the latter only once that this thread has been concluded.

After looking at your intended use it is apparent that you would be wasting a small fortune on hardware that you do not need, couple of examples, if you were to purchase 128GB of RAM short term almost 100GB of it would go unused and long term allowing for future more demanding programmes even then 64GB would be left doing nothing, one RTX 3090 FE is more than enough and unless you intend having more than four displays on the go at the same time again a second very expensive GPU would be left sitting idle but still requiring to be powered and using up resources.

The one component in your parts list that while it is expensive the CPU is a good performer + it has the added bonus of integrated graphics which is something that I insist on having, slight problem for you though and no pun intended it is a pity that among some of that hearsay the fact that AMD recommend liquid cooling was not mentioned, it RAM speed compatibility is a bit on the low side as well and especially when you have to factor in that DDR6 will be around in 2024/5.

When are you planning on purchasing the parts for this PC.

Aspiring Dude

Aspiring Dude

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I plan on buying it around June/July. I have another idea for a build: https://ca.pcpartpic...com/list/pQfksh

Motherboard and case both support 2 GPUs, but instead of actually having two GPUs I only start with 1, and if I need more VRAM I'll buy it when the time comes.

IceGiant Prosiphon Elite:

- I'm kind of scared about water-cooling, because of the possibility of water frying my pc, and because you need to do regular maintenance on it. So, I chose the IceGiant Prosiphon Elite, from what I heard and read it offers similar performance for liquid cooling (though I'm not sure this is still the case, since most of the forums/videos talking about it are 1-2 years old).

Corsair Vengeance 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30:

- I'm not sure about this one, does the 7950x3d have the capacity to run this RAM without overclocking? And if it doesn't, is the Prosiphon a good enough CPU cooler to overclock the 7950x3d?

The 1300-watt power supply is more of a what if I would like the double GPU config in the future.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Your update looks like you may not have fully read and understood my reply #8;

it is a pity that among some of that hearsay the fact that AMD recommend liquid cooling was not mentioned, its RAM speed compatibility is a bit on the low side as well and especially when you have to factor in that DDR6 will be around in 2024/5.

You don`t want liquid cooling but have again selected a CPU that requires it,

You have still included more RAM than you will use + in addition to the excessive amount of RAM it is also the wrong spec for the selected CPU which can only handle up to 5200MT/s. 

one RTX 3090 FE is more than enough and unless you intend having more than four displays on the go at the same time again a second very expensive GPU would be left sitting idle but still requiring to be powered and using up resources.

You mentioned two used  " 2 used RTX 3090s " in your OP but after being advised that a single RTX 3090 was more than enough you have from nowhere included an even more expensive GPU that costs more than $2500 Can.

I plan on buying it around June/July. I

Suggest you do another couple of months worth of research on this because if the build ever happens someone's bank balance is going to take a serious hit for very little return.

Aspiring Dude

Aspiring Dude

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Sounds good! Though is there any specific website that I can get started with for my research?

Edited by Aspiring Dude, 06 March 2024 - 06:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

It is continuous research on the programs that you want to be able to run that you need to study, the hardware is already out there for the spec that is required now but there is no point in doing a parts list until you know what is required, as said and repeated already, both of your parts list are excessive both in spec and cost.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

No follow up from Aspiring Dude so locking thread to prevent any further replies to the OP under the 78janeta user name.