Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a way to create another partition even though...

• Please log in to reply

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have my Windows format disc and I want to create another partition with it. I tried to create one, but it said something like "You have no more space to create another partition because you used up all your space on your Windows primary partition". See, when I reformatted my computer a while back I just created 1 partition for Windows and applied all the space onto that partition.

I was wondering if there is a way I could remove some space off of my Windows primary partition and create another partition with the space I removed. I want to do this so I can put general things in my other partition such as documents, music, etc. and just leave the other partition for Windows and programs. This way, my computer will possibly run faster, etc.

Could someone tell me how to do this?

Edited by MegaGeek49, 16 November 2007 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
help!! no reply in like 20 minutes!! i need some quick help. sorry for the bump, but i need quick help badly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There is no utility within Windows to resize the system partition. You'll have to use an application like Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic to accomplish what you're after.

You need to learn a little patience when asking for free help.

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I apologize for being impatient. Thanks for the help!!

I actually have Partition Magic. Where do I go in the program and what do I do to reach my goal?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I don't use Partition Magic, I use Acronis. With Acronis, it's just a matter of resizing the partition and telling it what to do with the remaining space...which, in your case, would be to make another partition. I would assume that Partition Magic will have similar options.

Perhaps someone with more experience using Partition Magic will chime in with better instructions on it's use.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi MegaGeek49,

I have two partitions on my 200GB Hard Drive and i used Partition Magic to do it. Not sure why i use that program but i do. It's quick and easy for me. Now since Symantec has taken over Partition Magic, i don't trust it anymore :)

However i have since uninstalled the program ages ago and have never re-installed it.

So, what i did, is went digging in my cd's just for you :) and re-installed it. Here's the pdf document that comes with it [My Partition Magic has some error] *shrug* :)

I can only upload 100k file and the manual is 300kb. Tried putting it in .zip format for you but that didn't work either :/

Only other way I can think of getting the manual to you is emailing it to you. If you'd like me to do that please semd me a PM with your email addy. Also you could try find the user manual on the internet if you'd like. Either/or.

Regards
Adrenalin

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks Adrenalin, but it's okay man. I used Partition Magic and was able to figure it out on my own. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by MegaGeek49, 17 November 2007 - 06:13 PM.