Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spam sent from my website

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello. My husband and I have a site set up to sell things and today I received more than 30 e-mails of our site being blocked, someone has sent out a bunch of e-mails using our site as the return and sending e-mail. I do have e-mail accounts set up using our sites name after the @ cymbal but I have no idea how someone is using our site name to spam others. Most all of the e-mails I received today are mailer daemons or something telling me that we have been banned or blocked for spam. Does anyone know how I can trace this down or if I can do anything about it? I contacted our provider about it and they told me to just ignore it, but this is my site and I don't want to just sit back and let someone make it look bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try using the tools at DNSStuff.com to find information from the Spam Database Lookup. Your provider is responsible if they are being blocked as it will affect others they are hosting. Possibly check for stats in your Control Panel for records of suspicious activity.

Spam blocking may be done by lots of servers depending on tools they're using. The problem may be on the User's end, too. Although it may be too late, all online email addresses should be "munged" (How to Avoid Spambots) in the best way possible to keep 'Bots from harvesting your email address.

Browsers used may affect whether a site gets loaded or not. Many browsers have a black list and your site may have been listed. User's need to check list and add your site as Approved.

Some related info:
Why Am I Getting All This Spam?
Did you know?
www.uceprotect.net
, cbl.abuseat.org, and spamhaus.org
Anti-SPAM Measures of the IAEA
How can valid IP addresses blocked by InterScan Messaging Hosted Security (IMHS) be removed from the ERS databases?

There is an official site where you can request a site to be unblocked, but, for the life of me, I can't recall the name or URL.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 16 November 2007 - 08:28 PM.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you very much. I will be following up on a contact with one of the links you provided over the next few days. I am hoping that they will be able to help me get this resolved or at least get something sent to the domain allowing this person to spam using my web site.

Jennifer

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Please keep us updated as to your solution or if you need more assistance.

Ron