Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

demon_54

demon_54

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ok well this is my first post on geeks to go. I need some help with my emachines t5026. I know emachines is looked down upon in the computer market. But recently I ran into a problem, when I startup my pc the loud fan starts running and everything seems good but then three beeps about 1.5-2 seconds long go off and the pc just sits there. Doesnt load up anything and nothing comes up on the display. I don't know what to look at or replace. So any help I could get would be awesome.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Could be memory or could be video.

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, create either the floppy (if you have a floppy drive) or the cd, and boot your machine with it. It will boot directly to the memory diagnostics and begin running tests. Let it run at least four complete passes...any failure will indicate bad RAM. This will run until you stop it...you can simply remove the disk and turn the machine off to do that. There are good instructions for using the tool and for troubleshooting RAM problems on the download page.

If the RAM passes the diagnostic, your video card (adapter) would be the likely suspect.

wannabe1

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks other people on other forums have been telling me its either the motherboard or the power supply which seemed weird to me. It might be the motherboard though. The ram is most likely the problem with it seems how the drivers for the graphics chipset got messed up and don't work.

UPDATE: I have a quick question wannabe. That tool you referred to me could I put it on a cd also? I don't have a floppy disk drive on my machine.(sorry if it sounds like a noob question I had to ask need to make sure before I try.)

Edited by demon_54, 16 November 2007 - 11:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...piece of cake. It will give you the option to make a cd when you open the downloaded file. :)

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok sweet and one last thing I am wondering about as of right now the pc does absolutly nothing but beep three times it doesnt load any sort of bios or os so this will still work?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you are getting the beeps, the disk should run.

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok I am going to do this Ill post what happens. thanks alot your the only one thats actually helped out of all other pc forums I went to.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We aim to please... :)

Let me know how it goes...

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well it didnt go as planned. I burned the iso on a cd put it in my pc turned it off then back on and nothing happens. The pc just sits there like usual after the beeps and nothing displays on the display. So I thought maybe something is wrong with my cd so i put it in my laptop restarted it and it worked fine. So now I am even more stressed anything else I can do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tell me a little about the beeps. Are they the same length or are there short and long beeps? Is there a pattern to them?

Advertisements

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the beeps are the same length about 1.5 seconds long and there are 3 of them. I am just considering building my own system now. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried reseating the RAM modules...or even removing one (if you have more than one installed) and then trying to boot the machine?

Are you running integrated video or using an "add on" card in a motherboard slot?

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I took both of the ram cards out and re-seated them, also if I am not mistaken the emachines t5026 comes with like intel graphics media accelerator 900 so does that mean its a graphics chipset? I don't have an actual video card.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you had any power outages lately? I'm wondering if something may have taken out the North Bridge on the motherboard...that is, effectively, your video card. The North Bridge also liaisons the RAM, AGP/PCI, and PCIe slots with the processor...it's quite possible the motherboard may be the problem

Ideally, at this point, I would suggest installing an add on video card as a way of bypassing the video supplied by the North Bridge. You wouldn't happen to have an extra video card laying around...would you?

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have one from my old hp but the emachines doesnt come with the basic spot to put a graphics card into the card is too big. So I guess no I don't and it might be the northbridge or a broken mobo my buddy who works on pc's finally told me last night that when he was checking the inside for another problem I was having he was putting the ram in the wrong way by accident ( he does drugs lol) and may of heard a small sort of snapping noise but hes not sure. Just thought I would add it in. But back on topic no I don't have an extra video card. I have two other towers other than my emachines one is a hp (about 4-7 years old the type of hp is scratched off the case sorry) and an old looking gateway (classic off white color no cd burner is how I can tell its older.) and all three towers have all their origional parts in it. I thought about just trying to mix and match but I still need parts. Maybe dishing out 800-900 on new pc parts ( mobo, vid card, ram, hd, processer, psu, and new case) and just build one myself I hate dealing with premade factory pc's Ive been dealing with them for 17 years and I think its time I start building them.