Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

may of heard a small sort of snapping noise

Ouch! When something stresses the mobo enough to provide sound effects...you got a problem. There's very likely a broken trace or "popped" connection in the North Bridge circuitry. This would cause exactly the problems you describe.

There's a lot to be said for building your own...I've built all my personal machines for the last ten years. They've all proven to be very reliable and resilient. Having your own operating system disk is another bonus...you have more options on disk than most OEM disks provide. Dollar for dollar, you'll get twice the machine and half the headaches for the same price by building your own.

Check out our System Building forum. That's a real good way to get to know what works and what doesn't.

I think we can safely say this mystery is solved.......buddy killed the North Bridge........ :)

Advertisements

demon_54

demon_54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
heh I should charge him for the new mobo. Buy anyways I am a big gamer and I have been looking into building my own pc since my current one stopped working I think these should be good parts for a gaming rig and I will spend under $1000 which is around the price of an on the shelf gaming rig. How do these parts sound.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor- 159.99
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - 102.99
EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - 149.99
Seagate Barracuda ES ST3250820NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - 79.99
Antec Sonata III Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - 129.95
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - 129.99

sorry to go off topic but thanks for confirming that the northbridge is the culprit.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's a pretty nice system. I've used that main board before and it's a good one...real fast, especially with the RAM you've chosen. (I'm a big fan of Corsair and use it almost exclusively) You'd be able to run any version of Vista on that build...should you so desire.

The case might lack a little in the cooling department. Have a look at the Antec Nine Hundred or the Antec P182. They'll provide better cooling and are sweet looking, too. I'm using the 900 and love it...some prefer the P182...both are killer cases.

And you are very welcome for the troubleshooting assistance... :)

PinkAngelDarlin

PinkAngelDarlin

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm no expert ,but he most likely heard a pop .Was the comp. on when he was installing the ram or did u hear it after u turned it back on?Ethier way it fried those ram slots most likely.