Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A little striptease for your Web passwords?

• Please log in to reply

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

In a new online striptease, the buxom, beautiful blonde who promises to remove her slinky scraps of lingerie doesn't want your money. She's interested in your brain. Really.

The creation of online scammers, she's trying to trick unsuspecting Internet users into helping the scammers break the online barriers that banks and e-mail services set up to thwart crooks.

The striptease is the latest attempt to defeat so-called CAPTCHA systems, which is short for Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. Those safeguards require users to prove they are human by reading wavy, oddly shaped jumbles of letters and numbers that appear in an image and typing them out.

Complete story Here

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Glad it made MSNBC news, too. Don't forget to watch the video. I got a notice that spammers were working on a way to read those images so I hope someone is working on the next generation of CAPTCHA. :)

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 19 November 2007 - 05:13 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
There is a Google tech talk on where he mentions this. Quite a old Google tech talk at that. http://video.google....d...35143&hl=en

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wow. That's a good link and turned out to be more fascinating then I thought. Can't believe I listened to the full 51+ minutes, but it sure held my attention.

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Yeah, I've read about that. Well, I can't blame the users, frankly! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

But the woman never fully undresses, and after several passwords are entered the program restarts, possibly enticing unsuspecting users into trying again.

I wonder how they found this out :)