Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive with lots of data saying its not formatted?

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I plugged in my external hard drive today and im getting a message on my computer that its not formatted would I like to format the drive now, .. Ummm no.. ive got a buncha data on it and i dont want to lose it. Is there a reallly good program that will be able to restore data on it.

What do I do?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Charliee03...

Give PCinspector a try. It's free and effective for recovering data.

wannabe1

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
What should I do though, I cant access the drive unless I reformat it

and everytime I start it up, the computer lags for a while trying to load it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Disconnect the external drive, download and install PCinspector, connect the external drive, answer NO to the format prompt, and use PCinspector to try to recover the data. If you can recover the data, you can then format the drive and put the data back on it.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I just ran the program and Ima bit relieved because I can see all the folders and data on the external hard drive. The only problem is I haven't even hit the reovery tool, and when I try to double click the drive to open it ... it says

L:\ is not accessible, The parameter is incorrect.

What the [bleep] is up with this drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like it dropped the file system. Run the recovery tool and see if you can get everything off the drive and save it to your HDD until you can format the external. Formatting it should put things right again.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Alright sounds good, Ive got a lot more data on there than my PCs hard drive so Im gona go out and get another hard drive to transfer too, I was going to get another one anyway. Can I reformat the external hard drive with this program?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should be able to format it using Windows. Once you have your data, right click on the drive and choose "Format". If it balks at that, use disk management. (Right click on My Computer, choose "Manage", expand "Storage", select "Disk Management", right click the drive, and choose "Format".)

You can also create partitions using disk management...which is handy when using very large drives.