Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.NET Framework

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
The Windows update service will not install the MS .NET Framework 1.1 update.
It downloads all the updates I need and installs all of them except the .NET one.
It always fails! Any ideas why?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
One possibility: Your copy of net framework 1.1 (without the update) was installed, then you installed XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
If that was the case then you need to re-install net framework 1.1 - from here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Then you can manually download and install the it's update (Service Pack 1) from here instead of using the Windows Update service:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Even if your problem has nothing to do with the above possible cause, you may still find that manually downloading and installing them both will fix it.

Edited by pip22, 17 November 2007 - 09:19 AM.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thanks for the quick reply pip22 - I tried a repair of the .NET program as outlined on a MS help site but I guess the .NET program is not on the Windows XP cd - so that did not work. The instructions for uninstallin and reinstalling confused me a bit.

I am going to try the links you provided and see what happens. Thanks again and I will post back my success :)

SUCCESS! Thanks pip22. The install and up date went smooth. I even went to the windows up date site and there was an up date for .NET Framework 1.1 SP1. It installed with no problem. I think I will keep that DOTNETFX.EXE around for a while.
Thanks again, I am all set now until the next problem :)

Edited by richocki, 18 November 2007 - 12:32 AM.