Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

64 or 32 bit

• Please log in to reply

jamiej

jamiej

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hello

I recently had an Alienware area 51 m1550 laptop which was really the biggest waste of money ever. about a month or 2 ago i got rid of it because it couldn't run any decent game. i put windows vista 32 bit on and it was terrible. i downloaded the hellgate demo (which was a waste of time because playing it on low graphics lagged) and it took around 30 mins to ask for conformation to install the game.
my question today is should i get windows vista 64bit as i have herd it is abit faster plus i can run my 4gb of ram and can use dx10 or should i just stick with xp 32 or 64 bit.

jamiej

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You may find this information useful: http://www.e-article...-Windows-Vista/

Personally, I would stick with XP (as I have) since regardles of whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit, Vista still has a many issues remaining to be fixed, particularly on the driver front, even more so with 64-bit. Many devices are still without 64-bit driver support.

Edited by pip22, 17 November 2007 - 07:33 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,668 posts
As a counterpoint to PIP, I have been running vista 64bit on both of my systems with no issues. with the compatibility updates and various fixes (all available from windows update) I find that vista is just as stable as xp. At the moment games are just starting to take advantage of dx10. I don't know of any other reason or item that uses dx10. SP1 also just entered beta testing. So it should be out by Feb time frame.

It really comes down to your hardware and applications. At the moment there isn't much that takes advantage of multi core cpu's and dx10 graphics. On that note, I do find advantages with my quad core cpu and vista 64x. I tend to do multi tasking. Alt/tab out of games to run other applications. This is really hard on the system to do that under normal circumstances. I have enough cpu cycles and vista 64x allows multitasking so I don't have any real issues with that.

If your a gamer and have a new or relatively new system that has a lot of cpu and video (intel dual or quad core >2.4 ghz and 8800 series video) then vista 64 would be a good choice. On the application side if you do a lot of video rendering or other multi media stuff, then you will get some benifit from vista 64x. you will get more from quad core than the OS. Yes it will use all of your memory.

If you have an existing system then I would recommend vista 32x.

What it really boils down to is what are your going to run it on and what are you going to do with it? Most problems attributed to vista are not vista related. Or I should say vista's fault. Vista has some significant architectural changes under the hood in how application work with the kernel and how drivers interact with the system. A lot of applications simply have issues. Some of it has to be drivers, while others are User Account Control compatibility. It has taken some time for developers to update their applications.

jamiej

jamiej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes i have 4gb of ram and quad core and a 8500 512 gt. hoping to upgrade to an 8800 sumtime this months so i guess ill give 64 bit a try.