Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

upgradeing my cpu

• Please log in to reply

anitanewname

anitanewname

• Pip
  • 5 posts
how do i upgrade my cpu i currently have a 2.8ghz intel pentium 4 processor and was looking for more is there a help guide or something out there ?

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi anitanewname,

You can upgrade your CPU, and i bet there are lots and lots of websites out there that could help you. I would start by downloading Everest [in my signature] and finding out what motherboard i have.

So... Download everest, then look at this section of it.

Go to Motherboard > Motherboard > Under Motherboard Properties you will see Motherboard name > from there I will see what motherboard you have on google and tell you what I think the best upgrade would be. Then the other tech people will give their opinion and we will debate. Find the best soultion. :)

Also you need to tell us what sort of budget you looking at

anitanewname

anitanewname

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Motherboard Name Asus P4SD-LA
budget - $100-300

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I'm afraid you upgrade won't be very good because you have an older model of a motherboard. Todays Mobos are socket 775 and AM2 if you are going to upgrade I suggest getting a new mobo and CPU together. Anything you upgrade to will not be any better.

Soorena

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry wrong topic.

Edited by SOORENA, 17 November 2007 - 11:10 PM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

I'm afraid you upgrade won't be very good because you have an older model of a motherboard. Todays Mobos are socket 775 and AM2 if you are going to upgrade I suggest getting a new mobo and CPU together. Anything you upgrade to will not be any better.

He's right, even if he is on the wrong topic. Your board is a Socket 478, which is quite old. You already have a 2.8Ghz processor so going any higher in my opinion is a waste of money. Technology moves at a rapid pace.

If this we're my machine, I would just buy a new one, it will be more beneficial to you in the long run.

Any specific reason you'd like to upgrade the CPU?