Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell C521 Needs an upgrade

• Please log in to reply

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi, I've had a dell c521 with an amd athalon 64 x2 dual core processor +5000 with 1 gb ram and the integrated vga Nvidia GEForce 6150 LE
I have to keep my windows xp looking like windows classic atm just so i can open like 15 tabs, play mp3's , utorrent, and my zune software.

I now want to get vista and run it on nearly maximum visual settings for optimum eye candy. I still want to be able to continue opening tabs in my browser and programs when i need them without having to wait soo long.

I was thinking about upgrading my ram and or my vga card but not spend too much money. Is this possible? (no there is no interest in gaming just os looks and watching movies)

Thanks to anyone who inputs. All views and opinions are appreciated.

Advertisements

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
any reply would be appreciated

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
If there is no need for gaming or enhanced gfx what is wrong with your current setup? atm there is no need for 2gb of RAM unless you want to do some pretty power dredging apps, but if you were going to game or anything like that i would reccomend a better gfx not so much RAM

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I have to disagree here, a RAM upgrade would be good as you are doing many different things at once (15 tabs +++++) and especially if you intend on upgrading to Vista - 2GB runs very nicely, I'm doing it right now :)

For easy information on RAM upgrades, just head one of your many browser tabs :) to http://www.crucial.com/ and run an online scan, it will give you a result about upgrade possibilities. It will also recommend you to buy Crucial RAM (of course), which is good quality, but you don't have to buy from them, just write down all the information that you need and you can look elsewhere.

I would suggest the RAM upgrade first, then move to Vista and see if your onboard graphics can handle Aero smooth enough for you. If not, just grab a cheap DX10 option to take the weight off, something like an ATI 2400 or 2600 series card should do the trick.