Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop wallpaper is covered with 10 empty picture boxes

• Please log in to reply

flowergirl

flowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I can change the desktop background picture but on top of the
picture is the outline of many previous pictures with red x's. :)

If I click on the x or picture, I just get the message about the desktop icons.

I have went to control panel, display, desktop, customize, web....but
nothing I do seems to get rid of the lines and boxes.

I also tried having NONE for the desktop wallpaper but these boxes
are still there!....many different sizes....they seem to be pictures that
I have used before as background.

This happened soon after I tried to make www.freerice.com/
icon. (It is a neat little word game and 10 grains of rice are donated for
hungry people in other countries, for each right answer!) :)

Oh, I shut the computer completely off a couple times...didn't help.
I also did the Ad-aware, Spybot, C cleaner and ATF cleaner...no virus's or bugs.

I took a picture of the screen but I am not sure how to download it here.
I could send it though to an email address...it is not very clear because the
flash makes the screen too bright.

Thanks for suggestions
Janie :)

Edited by wannabe1, 24 November 2007 - 07:24 PM.

Advertisements

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi flowergirl,

If I were having that problem after having downloaded and installed a game like that the first thing that I would try would be to uninstall the game using its uninstaller, and now this is just me, deleting the file folder that it was in too.

But if you really want to keep the game then at least reboot into safe mode and run all of those same scans that you said you had ran. See if they catch anything that way, lots of times they will.

I'm kind of giggling at the mental image that I have of you in my head right now... I can just see you trying to get a good pic of your screen with a hand held camera.

Look on your key board right above the 'backspace' key and you should see a key marked 'F12' and just to the right of that there should be a key marked with two lines of writing on it...it says 'PrtScrn' on the top line and 'SysRq' on the bottom line.

What you want to do is called 'a screen capture' or 'a screen shot'. whenever you want to get a picture of everything that is on your monitor screen just press that key.

Then open which ever photo editor you have, I use Microsoft paint, then click on the 'edit' button and click 'paste'. That will put the screen shot that you had just done by hitting the PrtScrn key into your photo editor. Then click on the file key of your editor and click on 'save as'. A new window will open and there will be a place at the bottom of it where you can name your picture whatever you want to.

Right below that there is a line that says 'Save as type'. Make sure that it says 'JPEG OR .JPG' on that line. If it has something else there just open the little menu and choose the line that has JPEG or .JPG in it and click save.

Make sure that you know where you save it *I've lost a couple myself* so you can find it later. Once you have done all of that then you can come back here, edit your post and by using the "Attachments" feature you can stick that picture into your post topic.

Oh, and I've looked into that free rice thing some... in my opinion ANYTHING that claims to be giving money to the UNITED NATIONS [UN] is purely fradulent. You just might want to do a Google search and see what all you fine out about it BEFORE you go doing any more clicking on their site.

Hope I've helped.

♥ Wendy

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Wendy.
Thanks for your reply.

I am generally the biggest skeptic of Internet 'forwards' and always
look them up on Snopes or Truth or Fiction....generally they are
scams and a hoax.

This free rice is legitimate. It was on the Katie Couric CBS news on
November 15, 2007
.. :) .I also looked it up on the Google search before
I recommended it to anyone.

It is COOL to be able to play vocabulary word definitions and 'earn'
rice for each correct answer.

Ok, I will see if that website downloaded...I don't think it did.
(I didn't download anything.)

It really isn't a typical 'game' because it is just a website address.

Thanks again
Janie

Edited to add: I checked add or remove programs, it is not there.
Here is the CBS news report about the FREE RICE...second one down.
[color="#FF0000"]Removed link to charity

Edited by wannabe1, 24 November 2007 - 07:27 PM.

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
The problem is solved.
After some searching, this did the trick.
(I will post it here in case anyone has a similar problem some day.)

To Disable Active Desktop.
Open the Control Panel.
Open Display Properties.
Click the Desktop tab.
Click the Customize Desktop button.
Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.
Make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked including My Current Homepage.
Restart your computer.

I didn't even have to re-start my computer.....the lines and boxes were gone and just the
pretty Autumn picture remained. (Many boxes WERE checked as I had tried to delete them
earlier and didn't realize this would cause a major problem for the boxes to be checked!)

Thanks Wendy for your reply and to those that did some research and just hadn't posted yet! :)

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi flowergirl,

I'm glad to hear that you have solved your problem. Now about that game thing... I only did a little reading, however, I will still classify it as a scam because when you play it it puts money in someones pocket at the UN, and in my own opinion that is the worlds largest collection of thieves, second only to our own congress.

After having done some research on the UN I wouldn't trust the United Nations with a bucket of spit, let alone with a dollar.

I noticed where one person had mentioned getting to level 44 and having to do all kinds of clicking on different links as they played the game.

Q: Do you have to click on different links that take you to different companies web sites for anything? Or did I misunderstand what I had read?

flowergirl

flowergirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Wendy.
Did you click on the website from the CBS news regarding the FREE RICE.

The way I see it, we are only donating RICE via cyber space (not money)...the contributors
are doing the advertising on the website. I believe it is legitimate...the Washington Post
said it was! :) (And I am very careful in what I believe on the Internet.)

Here again is the website...if you get the word definition correct, rice fills the bowl to
the side. It's worthwhile AND fun. (Plus we learn the meaning of a lot of different words!) :)

Removed link to charity

Here is a little about the FREE RICE to feed the hungry program:

Words nourish the hungry: Web phenomenon crosses one billion threshold

Rice is a vital part of WFP's food ration in Asia, Latin America and many African countries.

Rome, 9 November 2007 - The head of the UN’s World Food Programme Josette Sheeran has acclaimed the phenomenally successful internet-based vocabulary game FreeRice as an example of the Web’s power to mobilise millions of people in the fight against global hunger.

Every grain of rice is essential in the fight against hunger.

Josette Sheeran, WFP Executive Director
Yesterday marked the one billionth grain of rice donated to WFP through an innovative, dynamic online campaign – enough to feed more than 50,000 people for one day.

“Every grain of rice is essential in the fight against hunger,” said WFP Executive Director Josette Sheeran , adding that hunger claims more lives than AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria combined.

“FreeRice really hits home how the Web can be harnessed to raise awareness and funds for the world’s number one emergency. The site is a viral marketing success story with more than one billion grains of rice donated in just one month to help tackle hunger worldwide.”

Spread the word

For every correct answer to FreeRice’s online vocabulary game, the site donates 10 grains of rice to its official humanitarian partner, WFP .

Just 830 grains of rice were donated on FreeRice’s October 7 launch date. Since then, bloggers and social networking sites like YouTube and Facebook have helped spread the word and, on November 8 alone, over 70 million grains were donated – equivalent to more than seven million clicks on the site.

FreeRice is the latest brainchild of US online fundraising pioneer John Breen, who first tied funds to clicks on the Web in 1999 with the Hunger Site, at the time, a WFP partner. Breen runs the Poverty.com website, a portal for information and facts about hunger and related diseases.

FreeRice relies on private companies’ ad space payments to underwrite donations to WFP.