Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ETHERNET PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

BauerHaus

BauerHaus

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hope somebody can help.

I have an older (2003) Gateway Model 300S PC. I have recently formatted the hard drive, reloaded XP, and all drivers, and applications that came with it when it was new. The computer runs great, pretty fast. seems to be a keeper. (I bought it brand new, in 2003, but has been used by my inlaws over the past few years).

The problem is, the factory ethernet connection (which is built into the motherboard)(Intel® PRO/100 VE) shows up, enabled, in Device Manager, but will not work. I have a Westell DSL modem, and a NetGear wireless router. (I have tried everything, by bypassing the router, also). This setup works perfectly on my main home computer, so I know there is not a cable, or modem, or router problem. I have uninstalled, and reinstalled the drivers, and still no internet connection.

Here's another kicker.....It all works great with the USB (2.0) connection, except I only get a 12MBPS connection, where I should at least get 54MBPS. ( I get 100MBPS on my main computer with this setup.)

Also, I went and bought a NetGear (Realtek) Ethernet card, put it in the computer, & nothing. Loaded drivers...nothing...it doesn't even show up in the Device Manager. I tried it in all 3 available PCI slots, too. Nothing. I'm stumped. I may try a wireless card, but I hate to spend the money on it, if it won't work.

If nothing else, I'll just use the USB, but would rather use the faster ethernet, if I can get it going.

Hope y'all can help. I have found this sight to be invaluable for me, trying to keep my home computers going. Thanks in advance.

Steve Bauer

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look in the BIOS if communication is enabled. I have seen computers in which the default was to disable the onboard communication card. Look in the menus and enable everything which is related to communication.

BauerHaus

BauerHaus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey Skeptic....can you tell me how to check the BIOS settings, and change it, if needed. I know, by my previous post, that you thought I was a geek myself, but I'm not. :)

I am at work right now, and won't be at the said computer until later.

Thanks,
Steve

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Immediately after you start the computer start tapping repeatedly the key that will take you into the BIOS settings. Tapp it until BIOS menus show up. In most cases it's the DEL or F2 keys. If this doesn't work start the computer and as soon as the first screen shows up look to find out what key you have to press to get into Setup. In every BIOS there are instructions about how to move in the menus. Usually you use the arrow keys to move and the +/- keys to change values.

If you do change values make sure to save the changes upon exit. This is usually done by pressing F10 while in the main menu.

BauerHaus

BauerHaus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Oh yeh....I've done that before for some other problems. Thanks. I also just now found out that the computer has Service Pack 1 on it. I haven't downloaded SP2, yet. Could that have anything to do with my problem. I doubt it, but thought that may be of some help.
Thanks again for the quick replies and help. I'll try the BIOS this evening.

Steve

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
SP-2 is an important addition but it is not related to the problem.

BauerHaus

BauerHaus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well, this gets better all the time. I checked all the BIOS settings, and everything looked OK, but I hit F9, anyway, to return everything to the default settings. I hooked up my ethernet cable to my router and to the computer, and still no internet. I went to Network Settings, and it shows the port enabled, and a connection at 100MBPS. Still no internet. Everything looks like it should be working, but it doesn't
Thanks,
Steve

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to create a small home or office network. Then give each of the two computers a fixed IP.

BauerHaus

BauerHaus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey Skeptic. I downloaded SP2 last night, and guess what? I don't know if it was a fluke or what, but everything started working correctly, now. Thanks very much for all your help. As I said before, this is a great site, and I appreciate all the free info you guys (and gals) are willing to give out to help others.
Thanks again,
Steve

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.