Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Neep help with new computer

• Please log in to reply

zombiejesus

zombiejesus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am putting together my first computer. and Ive been having some issues. Everything seems to be fine but I cant get any signal to the monitor.

I just found out that the power supply that provided with the system is 400W and in the manual for the mother board it states that you needs at 500W to run the dual video cards.

Seems like that would be the issues, I just want to know, if I just use one of the video cards should it then have sufficient power, or does the mother board just need atleast 500W so it can allocate the poper amount of power all around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ive provided a link to computer I purchased if that helps.

Thank you.

http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=3478114

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi zombiejesus! Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Two 7300GT graphics cards in SLI? I hope you weren't intending on doing any serious gaming with it...

Nonetheless, can you provide a list of everything you have used to build the system? That barebones is not complete, you should have had to purchase some other equipment to finish of the computer.

I truly believe the addition of a 400W power supply was a stupid move by the manufacturer. You should have at least a 600W.

zombiejesus

zombiejesus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What else do I need?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The 7300 are not very power consuming and I would not judge a famous site as tigerdirect that way. As you can see others have not had problems with this bundle, and the only thing missing is a cd drive which you can find for 50 bucks. You should be able to run your system with the 400watt PSU. Just curious, can you check to see if everything is connected properly? Make sure the 4 pin yellow/black cable is connected because if it isn't then it should be. Also if you are lacking power then that PSU will run one card the least. Also both memory sticks should be in the same colored slot. Make sure your SLI bridge is connected properly also.

Soorena

EDIT: You also need a cooling fan.

Edited by SOORENA, 17 November 2007 - 04:52 PM.

zombiejesus

zombiejesus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, i have a CDROM already and everything you mentioned is set up correctly. I'm not home right now so I will have to make sure that cable is connected properly.

The Mobo powers up I just dont get any signal. So im not sure what it is, if its an issue with the HDD, the Ram, the Vid Cards, the PSU or the mobo itself.

Any other suggestions

zombiejesus

zombiejesus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Also I should note that my CDROM doesnt seem to get power either... I just dont thing the computer is booting at all just powering on.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I noticed that it is a modular cable PSU. Make sure that the cables are pushed in all the way because modular cables are very tricky. Also make sure they are plugged into the right holes, I know this sounds dumb but anything is possible. Do you have any fans inside? If so do they turn on?

Soorena

zombiejesus

zombiejesus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the mobo fans turn on of course. and the heatsink fan. aside from that I havent hooked up any fans yet.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The only reason I can think of is that everything else is either not connected properly or the PSU itself has bad connectors. Try taking it apart and then putting it back together, it sometimes works for me, lol.

Soorena

zombiejesus

zombiejesus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah all the connectors were wobbly and a [bleep] to connect. I got a new PSU today 600W hopefuly that works better and solves the issue.

Thank for the help, if I cant figure it out and will get back to you.