Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building A New Computer

• Please log in to reply

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
charts for video cards

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yes according to those your card is nowhere near the 8800, it beats the 8600 though.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What are you talking about. The regular 7950GT does not come close to the 8800GTS 320mb but the 7950 GX2 matches it and the cheapest 7950 GX2 I can find is $300 so what is the point?

Edited by jackflash1991, 17 November 2007 - 11:30 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Lol, where is James when you need him? Not that we don't need him regularly though, lol.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Lol, where is James when you need him? Not that we don't need him regularly though, lol.

Soorena

lol where is he? :)

Kais3r

Kais3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Soorena, once you solve what ever you guys are arguing about, can you edit that list of everything u gave me and post it again with the new result of what you guys argued about?

Thanks in advance,
Kais3r

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
there no arguement I put my 512 MB card agaisnt there 8800 512 card any day of week , first they never asked if it was over clocked which it is my frame rates are constantly higher than my two friends who have the 8800 512 MB card yes we all runing windows xo or vista. any way don't really matter as long he gets a good card.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
You have 2 friends that both have a 8800GT? How did they get it because they have only been out for a week and they have been out of stock?

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
they both are computer retailers that why and they been released to genral public actually about three weeks just hitting the market good now there getting ready to ship large shippment out monday so some will have by weekend.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hi Kais3r and welcome to geekstogo,
Here I am! :) Been busy as of late, so I will only be on periodically till finals are done.

Wow, this thread grew fast.

Firstly lets make this clear, the 7950GT cannot be compared to the 8800 series, the 8800 easily takes the victory.
Secondly, tomshardware is bias (and outdated) towards Intel so take those benchmarks as a guide line only. AMD also quietly made their processors cheaper about two weeks ago.
Thirdly, the 8800GT performs better the the 8800GTS 320mb version and in some cases the 640mb, the new updated, second edition of the 640mb card does take the crown when the 8800GT and 8800GTS compete.
Fourthly, till shipment problems are fixed with the 8800GT, I'd recommend the HD3870, if you want a bit lower end the HD3950. These are great card, one downfall is that they are still on beta drivers, though once catylast 7.11 is released, this will be resolved. Expect some gains from what you see from reviews. Also it's important to note that many reviewers didn't contact AMD and used catylast 7.10 or the RC1 version of the beta drivers, both resulted with worse or terrible performance, it should be the RC2 drivers that they were using, build 8.44 if I remember correctly, though don't quote me on this.

Now lets get down to business.

If you're planning on waiting till late January because of hardware releases there isn't much reason to talk about a build because of the hardware releases, we should see AMD's offerings on monday, along with a new chipset that will support crossfire x (quad crossfire).

With the hardware available today I have the following to say.
With a budget of 1000$, forget a sound card all together, onboard sound is advancing quite rapidly and is much better then what it was in the past.
Choose a case yourself, as you have your own personal tastes. Since we don't know you, what we choose for you, you'll likely find ugly.
From what SOORENA posted, there are a variety of things that can be changed to save you money while getting the same performance. You could either save this money or invest it into something even better.

It's 4a.m. now, so I'm off, if you have any questions or concerns let me know, I will likely be on tomorrow for quite a while. I plan on watch the eastern finals of the CFL (canada's pro football league) and surf G2G at the same time :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 03:58 AM.

Advertisements

Kais3r

Kais3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
So, you're saying that the second edition 640 mb card is the best? Do you think I should get that card?

Out of these, which is the one that you're talking about?

Edited by Kais3r, 18 November 2007 - 10:27 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.ncixus.co...2-N829-A1/eVGA/
This is the only place that I know, that is currently selling them. It's the second edition of the card.
In canada it's selling for 350$ and with crysis included, so it's worth a small amount over the 8800GT, unless you can find this card for marginally more 8800GT it's not worth it and I'd suggest sticking with the 8800GT.
Newegg has the right card it seems (SSC edition), but either it's the wrong product number on their page or they didn't update the specifications.
You want the card with 112 stream processors.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 12:48 PM.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
well in some ways he right in other ways he’s wrong first off think you stated you was going to run XP, correct which is just direct x 9 so the full benefits of some of these higher end cards are not available but will run ok my self like he stated would go with 8800GT they will be in most stores next week we got four delivered to my friends store Friday he got all them sold he coming over this evening with his.
We see how good they actually are. The reviews are great on these cards also I have to admit I do like ati cards but have had less trouble with the Nvidia cards as far drivers.
I would start by getting you the Processor, memory, MB and good Power supply.
Most MB now has fairly decent sounds and Net cards on them.
Again allot of this is Personal choice I have ran AMD Processor and Intel just my choice things Intel stronger,
Memory is another area some have their favorite , most descent memory going to cost you some but Most people wont notice the difference and really can’t tell a $400 dollar memory compared to $200 dollar memory some memory my friend started using is G Skill and seems to work and run as good as CORSAIR XMS2.
You got a Limited budget if you had like $1500 you would be excellent shape
The Power areas you got to go with for speed in your system are as follows
Processor
Memory,
Video for games
And them some would most likely MB
Then Power supply due to changing demands would truly recommend 500 watts and above. Again bear in Mind everyone will Have their own thoughts. These are based on me building computers last tens years and Playing games.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
You may want to check this system out it has the 8800 gt and is all ready built with descent system
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883229012

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

well in some ways he right in other ways he’s wrong first off think you stated you was going to run XP, correct which is just direct x 9 so the full benefits of some of these higher end cards are not available but will run ok my self like he stated would go with 8800GT they will be in most stores next week we got four delivered to my friends store Friday he got all them sold he coming over this evening with his.

DX10 is only a part of the benefit of the 8800 series cards. Even in DX9, the 8800 destroy any DX9 cards.

Just because one store will have 8800GT's in stock doesn't mean they all will, and chances are the stores he buys from will not have them and if they do get a shipement inventory will be really tight. These card sell out as soon as they get into stock, so you have to watch sites/stores continuously to get the cards. At the moment HD3870 cards are in abundance, but this seems to be changing quickly as well as they, like the 8800GT's, are in high demand.

You can currently get very good memory for 60$ after mail in rebate.

No less then 600W on a high end system.

James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 01:49 PM.