Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building A New Computer

• Please log in to reply

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
hear is a SSC available now:
http://www.evga.com/...=640-P2-N829-A1

once again as he stated its about everyone else likes and dislikes :

Edited by rinconjoe, 18 November 2007 - 03:31 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I think what I posted with a 8800GT is better than the computer from Cyberpower because of the following:

1) Motherboard is better
2) The memory in the Cyberpower is an unknown brand and the one in my post is not
3) The case I stated is a full tower
4) The PSU I stated is more known and reliable
5) It's Cheaper

The only better thing about the Cyberpower is that it has 500GB of hard drive space which you can buy for a little more money. Like THIS one for example.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 18 November 2007 - 05:35 PM.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well that depends on several things one he don't have to build it.
Two obviously he has very little knowledge on computers parts ect other wise he could of figured this out for him self, granted buying his Parts and separate pieces is much better in my eyes too. We are suppose to try to get him going in a decent computer for his price range as much as possible not trying to get him going with the most expensive parts, I assuming he has his windows xp disk all ready if not he will have to bring that into it too.

Kais3r

Kais3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
soorena, should I just go with the build you made me, cause I wont be buying anything till after Christmas, January or February 2008 probably. Or, do you think I could build it better in January or February 2008 for the same price?

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I would wait till you have money then in mean time do some research in four months most this will be lower and out dated.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
If you are going to buy it then I would wait till boxing day because you will see some magic numbers that you will like, and you can purchase better products that way.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

he has very little knowledge on computers parts ect other wise he could of figured this out for him self, granted buying his Parts and separate pieces is much better in my eyes too.

Please, never assume. Also everyone likes a second opinion.
We are here to help, everyone needs to start somewhere. If this is his first built, I, as well as many other people here will be more then glade to help.
The decision lies in his hands :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 08:57 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

If you are going to buy it then I would wait till boxing day because you will see some magic numbers that you will like, and you can purchase better products that way.

Soorena

Kais3r lives in USA, boxing day is Canadian :)
Though there should be many interesting deal coming up on Black Friday.
If you plan on building/buying pre-built in January, there will be lots that has changed, and I suggest what rinconjoe mentioned, read lots and obsorbe information on computers like a sponge.
If you ever have any questions you know where to come :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 09:01 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Black Friday.

Ugg :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 18 November 2007 - 09:01 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
WOW, is it really? I had no idea.

Thanks James, I learned something new.

Soorena

EDIT: Wait I just asked my aunt who lives in Michigan and she said that they also have boxing day :).

Edited by SOORENA, 18 November 2007 - 09:40 PM.

Advertisements

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
QUOTE(rinconjoe @ Nov 18 2007, 06:06 PM)
he has very little knowledge on computers parts ect other wise he could of figured this out for him self, granted buying his Parts and separate pieces is much better in my eyes too.
OK i was wrong thinking back in saying this and that I say I apologize for .

Kais3r

Kais3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Do you guys think that This
power supply will be a good one for this build, a buddy recommended this to me. Also, I think I am going to be wanting 4 GB of ram in this build. I may end up running vista on this build I have just found out, im not sure. Plus, I might get a quadcore

Edited by Kais3r, 19 November 2007 - 03:39 PM.

Kais3r

Kais3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
This is the build so far.If you have any suggestions for any of the things, please tell me.

Case = LIAN LI PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail -$129.99

Mother Board = GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $94.99
________________________________________________________________________________
_
Processor = Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail -$279.99
________________________________________________________________________________
Video= EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS SSC Edition 112SP 576MHZ 640MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDTV DIRECTX10 Video Card -$386

Total so far:890.97

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If I were you I'd go with this PSU. It's the best one for your price range that I can find (Hiper's are not very good PSU's).
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341002
I doubt this PSU would handle two 8800GTS SSC in SLI, infact I wouldn't try it. If you want to go all out and buy a PSU that will your looking at 150-160$. You need to have no less the 60Amps on the 12V rails.

I'd get this memory
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145034

As for the optical drive.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827129009

How much do you want to spend on a hard drive. Also, there is said to be a new GTS released at the beginning of December, wether or not you want to wait is your call.

James

Edited by james_8970, 19 November 2007 - 05:01 PM.

Kais3r

Kais3r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
My friend said that This memory is just as good but cheaper.

He also said that this case is good? Case

Edited by Kais3r, 19 November 2007 - 05:30 PM.