Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a good host...

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hi there,

Me and a family friend are working on a project. It's something to do with a website rating system, but I can't elaborate on the matter right now :)

Anyway, we're looking for a paid host. Here's a list of what we want and need:
  • Reasonable price, below $10 a month.
  • Preferably without a setup fee.
  • No obligations and / or cancellation fees, as we might switch hosts frequently.
  • Location: we don't really mind where the server is located, we prefer it would be located in a European country or in the US, though. We do not want a local Israeli host for various reasons, price included.
  • Supports MS-SQL databases and ASP.net - so it has to be a Windows based server (for now, it has to be so as the website is based on ASP right now).
  • Known, reliable & proven high uptimes.
  • We don't need much hard-drive space, 50 MB should be sufficient for now. We do want a reasonable bandwith allocation.
Basically, that's it :) If anyone could be as kind as to recommend a host, I would be grateful.

Regards

Tal

Advertisements

coljung

coljung

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Chech 1and1, I find they have reasonable prices and the have both linux and windows servers.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Thanks, they looks like a reasonable host & prices are good :) However, they have a 12 month contract.

Edited by landlord, 20 November 2007 - 09:32 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
http://www.gtghosting.com/

DeviousTrap

DeviousTrap

systems administrator

• Community Leader
  • 5,649 posts

http://www.gtghosting.com/

I would be the first to recommend gtghosting, but it actually won't work for the OP. We do strictly linux hosting and wouldn't be able to accommodate ASP and MSSQL.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I totally missed that part. I didn't realize anyone serious actually preferred an ASP server over PHP :)

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I have been using this hosting provider for 4 years now with ZERO problems or downtime.

http://qualityhostonline.com/

The prices are super reasonable, the servers are reliable, and again, I have been VERY happy with them. Don't know if they support ASP, but like ScHwErV mentioned, how important is that and if it is, good luck on finding one super cheap... We use 1and1 at my office (not by my choice) and while it normally works fine, there have been a few issues of downtime.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

I totally missed that part. I didn't realize anyone serious actually preferred an ASP server over PHP :)

Unfortunately it is not I who decides on this part, I have tried to convince the guy who works with me on the website, but he already has a version of the website built on ASP and he is reluctant to build it again. Eventually, though, I will convince him that PHP is better :) I'll keep your links in case I'll be able to convince him :)

I have been using this hosting provider for 4 years now with ZERO problems or downtime.

http://qualityhostonline.com/

The prices are super reasonable, the servers are reliable, and again, I have been VERY happy with them. Don't know if they support ASP, but like ScHwErV mentioned, how important is that and if it is, good luck on finding one super cheap... We use 1and1 at my office (not by my choice) and while it normally works fine, there have been a few issues of downtime.

Thanks for the info ;) The most important thing is that they are a reputable host, I don't mind some small downtime from time to time. I will check out your link though.

Thanks again everyone :)

Edited by landlord, 21 November 2007 - 05:22 PM.