Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Problems

• Please log in to reply

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I have no idea why my memory is suddenly so low. I have transferred all music files, all pictures, and everything that was taking up a lot of space to CDs and I am still reading only 12% free space on my "C" drive. I have a 10 GB Capacity and according to the defrag program I only have 1.24 free. However, the "D" drive is reading 99% free with 27.23 GB free.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Download 'CCleaner' and run it: http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then delete all your existing 'Restore Points' by temporarily disabling it from Control Panel:
Control Panel (classic view)->System-System Restore (tab).
Tick the box against "Turn off system restore" and click "Apply"
When the pointer re-appears, untick same box and click 'OK'
Run defrag again.

Incidentally, Irish Eyes, 'memory' is what your PC uses to run Windows and applications until you shut down.
'hard disk space' is where you store or install Windows and those applications, and that's what you are referring to.
Many people confuse the two -- not helped by the fact that the so-called 'flash memory' is used for storing photographs
and MP3 tracks.

But in PC terms memory and hard disk space serve distinctly different purposes.

Edited by pip22, 17 November 2007 - 07:48 PM.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
So you are talking about Storage, not memory.

Memory is different than storage.

10GB is not a lot of storage space. Music files will take that up in a flash.
Sounds like you have a lot of temporary file (a lot of waste) build up and just need to clean house.

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
So, now that I have downloaded the CCleaner, should I run it with the existing options selected?

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
CCleaner might clean more than you want to clean.. I am not that familiar with the program, I would suggest you wait until Pip or someone with more experience with it, advises you.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have used CCleaner a fair bit, with the default options it should be fine. Another program that will work in a similar fashion is ATF Cleaner, they both pretty much just clean-out temporary files and other un-needed space-hogging files.

Let us know how much space it cleaned for you - it will tell you.

:)

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks for the replies!

PsychPosse - I was a psych major too (dual master's in psych and social work with an emphasis on domestic violence and sexual assault)!! :)

Troy, I am trying the CCleaner now and will post again when it finishes.

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Sorry, with the holiday, and way too many kids coming home all at once I forgot to run the cleaner.

It freed up 699.7 mb and took my free space from 12% to 21%. I guess that means it works pretty well. How often should I run the cleaner, or is it a one time thing?

Thanks again for all your help.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I run mine once a day when I'm finished and about to shut down. It comes down to personal preference, I guess... I would say once a week would fit in nicely with most people's schedules.

irish_eyes

irish_eyes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
OK, then I will stick to once a week. Thank you so much for all your help.