Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiplayer game stuttering

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, for ages I've had a stutter in online games like WoW, Team Fortress 2, BF2, BF2142 etc.
Stutter is the best I can describe it as, but really its other players (and for example weapons they've etc...) on screen that appear to be randomly glitching around the screen (As in their movement is not smooth, very rough and they bob around the screen until they stop moving)
Of course this makes it impossible to play games like WoW where you have to put up with potentially thousands of other players.
Now I know its not my system, because I installed WoW and another comp in my house and its still doing it. Just wondering if it could be broadband related and if anyone has heard of something similar?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
there could be a lot of things causing this.

graphics: having a slower graphics card that causes low fps (frames per second) can cause lag.

ping: having a high ping can also be causing lag. Then there is the reverse. Low ping can cause the "appearance of lag" but it's because you have a better connection than anyone else. I have that sometimes because I live in the same town our game server is hosted.

To best determine this we need to know a few things. What are you system specs (ram, processor, video card). What is your ping to the server. Best to know this if the game has built in game status that also shows ping. This is true for most fps shooters (cod, battlefield, cs).

Now World of Warcraft there is another layer of complexity. For example if your average ping is 100, if the server gets really busy then it can spike up to 400. Problem with WoW is that Pinging the ip has almost no resemblance to the ingame response time. That's simply due to the nature of the game.