Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I created another partition and transfered programs to other partition

• Please log in to reply

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
When I reformatted my computer a while back, I only created 1 partition, and that partition was the primary drive for Windows and everything else. A couple of days ago I used Partition Magic to resize my primary partition so I could make another partition; and so I did. Now I have 2 partitions: Partition C and Partition F. I use Partition C as a partition for all Windows files and thats it. I am using the Partition F for programs, games, documents, video files, etc. My problem is though, I moved all my programs from the Partition C over to Partition F, and now things are screwed up; such as shortcuts, programs in the control panel, etc.

So what I ended up doing was reinstalling most of the programs and installing them in Partition F as for example: "F:\Program Files\IrfanView". Although, there still are some programs that I couldn't reinstall because of personal reasons, but so I just transfered those programs over to partition F instead of reinstalling them. I fixed all the shortcuts and stuff, but now I need to fix the programs that are in the control panel, start menu, etc.

What can I do to make programs show up that I moved in the control panel and fix the start menu? I basically just need to update my programs in the control panel, because when I try to remove a program from there that I moved from partition C to F, I get a message saying something like this: "It appears there is no such program. Would you like us to remove this program from the list?" or something like that.

Edited by MegaGeek49, 17 November 2007 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
As you've discovered, you can't simply move or drag program folders from one partition to another and expect them still to work. When you install an application, not only do the shortcuts point to that partition, but also the 'path' to that application is written to the Windows Registry which is like a big database. Move the applications program folder and everything gets screwed up.

The best thing you can do is uninstall all the programs which still don't work, delete their shortcuts from the start menu and desktop as well, and re-install them on the drive or partition you want them to be on. Not sure what you mean by "some I couldn't re-install for personal reasons" but you'll have to overcome that -- re-installing the programs is the only answer.

Also not sure what you installed in the Control Panel as there are only a few things you can put in there, but that's basically the same -- uninstall whatever it is and re-install it, remembering to select drive 'F' for the installation.

MegaGeek49

MegaGeek49

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks. I re-installed everything now. Thanks again for the help.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
glad you got sorted. Remember in future, if you want to move an application to another partition, fully uninstall it and remove all it's shortcuts first, then re-install it to it's new location.