Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram Chip Installation

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Apart from physical installation, are there any other operations to be done when installing Ram chip, changiing BIOS, SetUp, etc or does computer already recognize power of new chip( Speaking of single sided, 72 pin 128 mg. chip)
Also do I have to remove other existing sticks(There are three with one remaining empty slot.)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that depends on your motherboard.

Most motherboards will automatically detect a new ram stick, but I've seen older ones that require you to go into BIOS and reset the motherboard to system defaults.

You do not have to remove existing sticks IF--IF-- the amount of total ram does not exceed the limits of your motherboard.

Say your motherboard can handle a max of 512mb, and you have 384 present and add a 256 mb stick...you would need to remove 128 worth of the old memory

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
How can I tell how much ram my motherboard can take? Do you need to know all specifications of my unit?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just a manufacturer and model number....it will be in your manual if you have it, or look at the maker's site and download it.