Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU options?

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
OK just picked up Crysis and this CPU is not cutting it. I have an Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz and they recommend at least a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz (E4500) for the game. I was planning of getting a Core 2 Duo E6750 or Core 2 Quad Q6600 but Intel is going to be releasing some new processors. So I waited till I played the game to make a decision, HOPING that I had enough to run it on LOW until the new line was in.

So my question is, Is the new line of Quad core processors that Intel is making worth waiting for or do you think I will be fine with the performance of the Core 2 Duo E6750 or Core 2 Quad Q6600?

Recommendations on waiting for a certain processor or an "on the market" processor is greatly appreciated. :)

PS: I am going to have to get a new mobo if I go with the Quad and that may lead to getting new RAM because I have an off-brand crap that kills me when overclocking.

Edited by jackflash1991, 17 November 2007 - 09:49 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Not many applications run quad cores and they won't for a while. I have Crysis and I'm running a C2D E6600 which is handling it amazingly, not just that it can OC pretty good too. I would go with C2D and then when Penryn comes out you can upgrade but its a far distance till then.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Nice thanks for the post Soorena.

What settings are you playing Crysis at? So I can get a ballpark range.

PS: I have been reading reviews on Crysis PCs and they are saying get a Quad core if you can get your hands on one. But IDK if it is worth the extra $85.

Edited by jackflash1991, 17 November 2007 - 10:59 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry for the delay I had a phone call. I am running the specs on high and I saw no lag or lower FPS than 30. My resolution is 1680 x1050, thats all my monitor can handle. Notice my video card and cpu are overclocked.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Dam if you are running on high then I guess it is ok. I will probably make my final decision on Sunday or Monday.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
LOL, I also forgot to mention I have Watercooling which lets me overclock like crazy.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
To what GHz?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I have reached 4GHz on my CPU and above but I'm scared to leave it there so I set it to 3.8 for now. My graphics card has a Core: 800mHz and Memory: 2.2gHz.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
hmmm that is the problem because I can't overclock very well with the RAM is holding me back and I have and this crappy mobo too. It is going to turn into a big overhaul which I don't want. Well I might wait a week and see if Tom's hardware does any more reviews or do some benchmark tests with Crysis because I know a lot of people are asking for them.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Oh I don't know about your mobo but mine allows to separately overclock the CPU and Memory so its not holding me back. Yours is a different chipset so I don't know.

Soorena

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
jackflash keep in mind this is a family site :)

The new processors coming from Intel will only have marginal differences in terms of performance per clock, we are looking around a 2% gain.
The advanges are as follows:
-Created on a 45nm manufacturing process
-Since it's on a 45nm manufacturing process, the creates a lower power consumption and therefor you CPU generates much less heat.
-There are HUGE gains in SSE4 coding which will likely be seen in the future.
-Since there is much lower heat output, there is a larger potential to overclock, even on air. 4.2GHz is easily achievable on water, engineering samples went up to 4.4GHz on air, but don't expect this.

While no games with be quad core multithreaded in the near future they still do give a benefit to gamers. Since we are now beginning to see more and more dual core multithreaded applications/games, you don't want to have you operating system uses these two cores. So with a quad cores, you have 2 cores for gaming and the other two cores being used to calculate things for your operating system such as background services.

While we have 1 Penryn processor out right now, it's 1,200 dollars. The entire family will be released as early as December, or as late as January.
Whether or not you can wait, thats only a call you can make for yourself :)

I'm running Crysis on high to very-high settings.
E6600@ 2.9GHz (setting up water cooling after finals)
HD2900XT @ 800/900

James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

jackflash keep in mind this is a family site wink.gif

What did I say? Sorry if I did say something. :)

The entire family will be released as early as December, or as late as January.

Do you know of a ball-park that these will be at?

EDIT:

Since I was working with a quad-core machine I wanted to make sure that the game was utilizing all four cores. I did some performance monitor captures while running the CPU benchmark to see if each core was getting some action. From the looks of the graph Crysis is definitely handing out plenty of instructions to everyone in the room so it's safe to assume that multi-core users will get better performance than their single-core brethren with quad-core computers running the best. This shouldn't surprise anyone but it might help justify that dual-core or quad-core upgrade.

http://www.tomsgames...full/page2.html
Does this mean that Crysis is using the 4 cores or is it what you are saying about the OS using the other two?

Edited by jackflash1991, 18 November 2007 - 09:14 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I read that article a while back and the thing is, tomshardware is the only one reporting it, and I don't think the coding of crysis is advanced enough to be a 4 core multithreaded game, but I could be wrong. They are becoming less and less reliable, and as you can tell I feel the site is beginning to lose creditability.

There are many conflicting reports about this, some say it's not there, others say it is, then others say it will be added in a patch.

I'm going to ask some people I know on other forms and see if they can verify this. I know that the operating system will be offloaded to the other two cores, but not sure if this game is fully quad core optimized or not. To many conflicting reports, wish I had a quad to verify this, but that upgrade will be later next year.

I was referring to the words such as crappy/crap, please refrain from using them :) Surprised the forum doesn't filter it.

James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have conformation from a number of knowledgeable people with first hand experience with quads and the game, it's dual core optimized.
The operating system is being offloaded onto the other two cores, which is what I though was happening.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Wow I did not know that Tom's was bias like that. Why would they do such a thing? I guess I now have to start looking at other sites. The only other one I use is http://techreport.com/ They don't miss a thing that happens in tech news but they don't do a lot of hands on stuff. Know of any good hands on tech new sites.

So I would be better off with a Dual core you say (Core 2 Duo E6750). I kinda feel like I am investing into a product that will be obsolete soon with just a single patch (Dual core not Quad core). What do you know about enabling Quad cores in a patch or something? Is it just a good theory or is like a insider kind of thing? Would it be easy to do?

I was referring to the words such as crappy/crap, please refrain from using them wink.gif Surprised the forum doesn't filter it.

I have never really though of that word as bad but I will now. :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 18 November 2007 - 05:58 PM.