Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU options?

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Just a reminder my CPU didn't come with thermal grease, I might have been robbed but I doubt I was.

Soorena

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
http://global.msi.co...amp;cat2_no=170

MSI 945P NEO3

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled10.jpg

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Just a reminder my CPU didn't come with thermal grease, I might have been robbed but I doubt I was.

Soorena

Was it OEM or Retail?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
When I say thermal grease, it's already applied to the bottom of the heatsink.
Like jackflash said, is it retail or OEM, if it was OEM, then you wouldn't not have gotten the heatsink that had the thermal grease applied to it :)

On another note, just ordered my water cooling system :)
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
It was a retail and I remember applying OCZ thermal paste to it because the heatsink didn't have any, surprising because my friend also told me that it should come with some. Nice let me know if you need help with anything I've had mine for a while now.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Do you know for sure your motherboard will work with C2D? If not give me your model number.

http://global.msi.co...amp;cat2_no=170

MSI 945P NEO3

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled10.jpg

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 November 2007 - 05:55 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes your motherboard does, just noticed the specs in your signature.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Nice! :) Thanks for bearing with me with all of the questions James and Soorena. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, before updating your CPU, I'd double check that your BIOS is up to date. :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 November 2007 - 06:16 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
So I should update it. I know there is a couple of BIOS updates on the site but I am not sure of exactly how to do it. Plus it says in bold letters to not attempt unless you know what you are doing.

EDIT: For some reason the MSI site is down in some places so I guess I will try to figure out the BIOS update a later day.

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 November 2007 - 06:43 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes I was having problems with the site earlier as well.
This is quoted from the site:
Live Update 3 is a single utility software that automatically checks BIOS, driver and utility updates and installs for you , which can save your time for searching and lower the risk while updating.
Give it a try, it's likely a program that came on a disk with your motherboard.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

If you think this is big take a look at Troy's thread, we went over 100 posts, I think it was 9 pages long.

What makes you think I'm finished yet? :) (Although I may start another thread to concentrate on overclocking efforts once I get on to it)

This thread is looking good so far, I also have the E6750 and initial overclocking efforts have taken me to 2.8GHz easily, with 8 hours of Orthos testing and no errors. I can recommend this processor ;) I'm thinking that 3.2GHz (1600 FSB)will be the "magical sweet spot" as this will then be 1:1 with my 800MHz RAM as far as I can tell, still learning lots about this though... If stetty has gone over this already, I'm hoping with a bit of work I should be able to hit this without too many problems.

In particular, I just wanted to point out that any BIOS update program from within Windows is not a good idea :) I tried the @BIOS program that came with my Gigabyte motherboard, and it gave me a failed error, no code, no explanation... :) When I tried to reboot it gave me an error and needed me to reset it :) Then on the next reboot it was fine again, I was so worried I'd lost it for good. Updating with the floppy from within the BIOS was easy as 1.2.3. and no problems.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
http://global.msi.co...mp;prod_no=1041

Ok I am at school and I got onto the BIOS update page but I think the site is going to be down for thanksgiving so I am going to try and do it quickly. There are 5 versions, 3.2-3.7, of the BIOS update do I just use the latest one, 3.7? Do I just use that one ore do I have to update to every one, one by one. Because the 3.7 update is samller then the 3.2 update?

Also if I do it by floppy do I just extract the files frome the ZIP onto the floppy?

Edited by jackflash1991, 20 November 2007 - 08:59 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Troy, here's a quick chart of my OCs:
(note: My RAM is 2GB of Patriot rated at DDR2-800 and to run at 4-4-4-12 timings with 2.2V.)
| CPU Speed | FSB Speed | CPU Voltage | RAM Speed | RAM Timings | RAM Voltage |
|  3.2ghz   |  1600mhz  |  1.3125V	|  800mhz   |  4-4-4-12   |	2.1V	 |
|  3.3ghz   |  1650mhz  |  1.3125V	|  825mhz   |  4-4-4-12   |	2.1V	 |
|  3.4ghz   |  1700mhz  |  1.3625V	|  850mhz   |  4-4-4-12   |	2.1V	 |
|  3.6ghz   |  1800mhz  |  1.44375V   |  900mhz   |  4-4-4-12   |	2.2V	 |

Note that in all my overclocks, I use a 2:1 FSB:RAM ratio. Ignoring complicated reasons to why this is (though you can read them in my posts in this topic, it is basically simple math. 2/1 = 2. 1600/800 = 2. Therefore, a 1600FSB and 800mhz RAM is in a 2:1 ratio. If I set it to a 1:1 ratio, it would try to run my RAM at 1600mhz (1/1 = 1. 1600/1600 = 1). Obviously, my RAM won't run at twice its rated speed.

To jack, just use the most recent BIOS (3.7). If you are putting it on a floppy, sometimes it comes with a utility that will automatically put the required file on a floppy. If not, just but the .bin file on the floppy, and ONLY the .bin file.

Edited by stettybet0, 21 November 2007 - 06:49 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

In particular, I just wanted to point out that any BIOS update program from within Windows is not a good idea :) I tried the @BIOS program that came with my Gigabyte motherboard, and it gave me a failed error, no code, no explanation... :) When I tried to reboot it gave me an error and needed me to reset it :) Then on the next reboot it was fine again, I was so worried I'd lost it for good. Updating with the floppy from within the BIOS was easy as 1.2.3. and no problems.

I have yet to have a problem with it.
*knocks on wood*
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 November 2007 - 04:28 PM.