Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU options?

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok well I am at home and I unzipped the file to my desktop and there is no .bin file in it (see attached I may be blind). But there is a Word document that goes through how to do it (Attached). There are 3 sets of instructions for different machines: "Award BIOS Flash Procedure", "AMI BIOS Flash Procedure", "Flashing the BIOS for Non-FAT file system (Thanks to Forum Moderator Assaf for his valuable contribution)" which one do I use?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled37.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm guessing that the .370 file is just a .bin file with a proprietary extension... :)

Now, I could help you determine which type of instructions you should follow, but why not just use MSI's Live Update? That would be much simpler.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I'm guessing that the .370 file is just a .bin file with a proprietary extension... :)

Now, I could help you determine which type of instructions you should follow, but why not just use MSI's Live Update? That would be much simpler.

I tried but I keep on getting an error. I think it may be the Vista because on the site it does not say that it supports Vista, just up to XP.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, I'd assume you'd use the directions for the non-FAT file system, since Vista uses NTFS... but perhaps someone else would know for sure.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Ok, I have the MSI 945P Neo3 board and I need to updated the BIOS.
http://global.msi.co...amp;cat2_no=170

I downloaded the 3.7 BIOS http://global.msi.co...mp;prod_no=1041
and I am having trouble.
I have Vista and I tried the online automatic update thing online and I keep on getting an error so I need to do it by a floppy.

I have gone through a couple of floppies already and I am getting really frustrated.

The way the instructions say are not in Vista so I kind of had to try a couple of things. The one sequence that I get the most progress is this one:
1.) made an MS-DOS startup disk.
2.) Put the two files in (Afud408 and A7236IMS.370)
3.) Reboot and the MS-DOS startup is up
4.) type Afud408
5.) get a table thing with a bunch of options/commands
6.) type "O" for Save current BIOS into file
7.) ends
8.) I restart
9.) check the BIOS for new version # and it is the same
Having problems.

http://forum.msi.com...=112426.new#new
Posted on the site for help but if you guys have suggestion, please do. Thanks. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Perhaps they can rescue you :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Looks like you already got a reply! :)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Looks like you already got a reply! :)

That was fast I was expecting in like a day or 2.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well it looks like I have another change in plans. "Jack the Newbie" writes:

I am sorry to tell you that, but I believe your CPU will not be supported. Sad

You said that you have this board, right?

--> http://global.msi.co...amp;cat2_no=170

Click on the "CPU Support" - Tab that you can find on the product page. Here is the direct link:

http://global.msi.co...p;cat3_no=#menu

As you can see in the list, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 is not supported (and I doubt that will change with the next BIOS revision).

I hope it is not to late to tell you that, but your upgrade plans are not very likely to work on this board. nooo

So it looks like the E6750 with my current board is not an option. I guess I did not look into it enough because the box said "supports Core 2 Duo". My board does support up to the E6700 though. Do you think the E6700 will be good or do you think I should get a new board? Does the E6700 have the awesome overclocking capabilities like the E6750?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I thought you said E6700 :)
Yes your motherboard doesn't support 1333FSB processors.
James

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Quote from first post:

I was planning of getting a Core 2 Duo E6750 or Core 2 Quad Q6600

Maybe somewhere I said E6700 by accident, sorry.

So do you think I should just go with the E6700?

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 November 2007 - 07:57 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I doubt it, I was probably just seeing things (or mixing two threads up, wouldn't be the first time as I usually have multiple threads open in multiple tabs), either way good thing it was caught, also your motherbaord doesn't support any quad core processors.
If you going to get a 1066MHz processor, don't buy anything more then the E6600, the price difference isn't worth it, especially if you are overclocking.
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 November 2007 - 08:45 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
So then the E6600. Anyone else have any recommendations or objections?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I think it would be better in the long run to get a mobo capable of using penryn in the future, as well as a e6750 now. Some mobo chipsets that will support penryn are the P35, X38, 680i, or the upcoming 780i. Of course, you weren't planning on upgrading your motherboard, but think of it this way: You won't have to upgrade it again when you want a penryn. :) Plus, the e6750 is a superior chip to the e6600 at a cheaper price, so of course you want that.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok, wow now I have an even bigger problem! :) For some reason after flashing the BIOS I managed to somehow deactivate my Vista product key and now I only have 2 days before the PC locks up. I am really really pissed and I can not get a hold of customer service because you have to type in the product key, that somehow got deactivated, to even email them. :) Total bull crap. Anyone know of a email address that I can work this out with? Maybe I am too frustrated and tired to see it but I can not find it on the Vista support page. Thanks. Plz help! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled222.jpg