Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU options?

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
ok false alarm. :) all fixed I called them and I am activated again. on the phone for like 20min though so yeah, fun. :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 November 2007 - 10:38 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade to here it. Did Microsoft mention what happened?
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
No, but it seems like it is a common problem. The Indian lady knew exactly what was happening and I just read a list of numbers and she just told me to plug in a bunch of other numbers and it was activated.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:) As long as you could understand the person on the other then of the line.......and you got it working of course.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
UPDATE
Ok well I was wondering if anyone has heard anything else about the Penryn chip. Stettybet0 posted this chart in an earlier reply:
Posted Image
If it is true that the chip will be released in Jan 08 then I think I will be able to wait. I have been very busy with homework, critical papers, and working so I have not had time to play. But I am trying to convince my dad and aunt to build them a new PC. If I convince at least one of them then I will be able to give them my Pentium D, mobo, and RAM (because it is the lower DDR2 667MHz not 800MHz).

If the release date is Jan 08 then I think they will be able to wait until then and I can get a new mobo, RAM, and a Penryn (I'm thinking the Q9300 by the look of the chart or do you think it is worth it to go for the Q9400 because it has twice the amount of L2 Cache, for $50 more)

Recap:
*Any more info on performance or release dates?
*Is this chart legit?
*Which Penryn should I go for? (I kinda want to go for the Quad but man $266)

Thanks a lot guys for all of the help you have given. :)
I have not been in the forums much lately but I hope to jump in a little more often.
Again thanks.

Edited by jackflash1991, 17 December 2007 - 08:57 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I know that the Extremes are out and the newest is over $1000 HERE is a link. Also I would criticize your aunt and dad that their computers suck or give their computer a virus, that way you can convince them for sure :).

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
lol that CPU is worth a whole computer. :) A little steep for me.

Also I would criticize your aunt and dad that their computers suck or give their computer a virus, that way you can convince them for sure thumbsup.gif.

I like the Virus idea but it seems a little too evil. I might just install something and say "Oh you see that program." "Yeah." "That is a Virus and your comp. is no longer safe or something." But I don't think I will be able to fool my dad with that so I may need to get creative.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Would it be efficient to get 3Gb of RAM because I know that Vista 32bit only recarbonizes like ~3.25GB. Because I see everyone gets either 2Gb of 4Gb, no 3Gb even though 3Gb is probably the most cost efficient.

Edited by jackflash1991, 17 December 2007 - 09:23 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Not really cause one stick of 1Gb costs almost the same as 2 sticks of 1Gb so why not go for the 2Gb anyways. Also 1Gb won't make a world of difference 2Gb is enough for now.

Soorena

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok just looked it up and yeah, why not.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The prices in the chart are what retailers (like Newegg) pay for large quantities of the chips. They can then mark up the price by however much they want. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how great the demand is before we know the exact pricing. And yes, the release should be in January '08.

I would definitely go with the Q9450 over the Q9300. Double the L2 cache should really make a performance difference, not to mention the slightly higher clocks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They have been delayed till Feburary/March due to an errata.
I have 3GB of RAM, but I got the 1GB set for 20$, like SOORENA said, it is no longer cost effective to purchase 1GB kits, I have seen 2GB kits going for $20 in canada as of late....DDR2 prices have bottomed out, I would not expect prices to get any lower. I think prices will increase sometime in the new year. This is temping me to get 8GB of RAM and dual boot into 64bit OS, but thats a whole different story......
Like I have already mentioned in this thread, expect a 20%ish mark up on those prices.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 December 2007 - 10:52 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

They have been delayed till Feburary/March due to an errata.

Oh really. That might be a problem. Do you have a link to article for that?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Yorkfield Delayed

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Hmmm, Well thats a pickle. I might try and make a PC for my dad or aunt with the Pentium D and get a Core 2 Duo. In March, my birthday, I will try and make the other one a rig and give them the Core 2 Duo and get myself a Penryn. It might be a little hard to convince them / coordinate it but it might just work out.

Ok any suggestions on a board that will run a Core 2 Duo (probably an E6750) and a Penryn?

Edit: I am looking under Newegg's "Power Search" and under "CPU Type" I do not see Penryn. http://www.newegg.co.......&GASearch=3
Or will any Quad core board support the Penryn?

Edited by jackflash1991, 18 December 2007 - 03:23 PM.