Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore

• Please log in to reply

joemac

joemac

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My system restore has been disabled for some reason can I please learn how to enable it.

Advertisements

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
just right click on the my computer icon on your desktop click properties and then click the system restore tab and then make sure that the TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE box is NOT checked. Then click APPLY. :tazz:

joemac

joemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It was not checked. so still the same. I may have a virus but I used 4 anti virus progs and all the anti spyware I can get but don't seem to be able to fix it

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
What happens when you do this? you are running XP right?

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.

joemac

joemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm being stupid but how do I log on as administrator

joemac

joemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I get the restore point but there are no restore points available

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
when you turn on your computer does it automaticlly startup into windows? If so you should be the administrator probably. This is your home PC right? If this is the case then try what I stated previously and tell me what the outcome is.

joemac

joemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I get the restore point screen but there are no restore points available

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ok have you disabled system restore recently? Why dont you try to create a new system restore point right now and then go back into the system restore and see if the restore point shows up. Let me know.

joemac

joemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
spybot set one yesterday but it's missing now. I have set a new one now but the system is not stable at the moment

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q301224

This may be of some help. Im still doing some research. Is there something wrong with your computer right now or are you just wanting system restore to work?

joemac

joemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
seems like I have virus or something I have been using everything I know for the past 2 days but can't find anything. The computer is behaving very badly slow grahics and it seems at times the only way to get it to work properly is a reboot which only works until the next slo down

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Have you tried system defragment?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please visit the forum in my signature, follow the instructions there, then retry markedmanner's instructions here

joemac

joemac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanx I've posted a log on the Malware forum