Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Filing a video.

• Please log in to reply

catpoop

catpoop

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
In simple laymans terms how do I file a video from Youtube?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Many YouTube videos provide the codes to use to embed the video into a web page, blog or forum. If these codes are not there, then video may be proprietary.

Ron

catpoop

catpoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Do I left click the url? And then how do i file it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Need a little more info. Is the video you're talking about providing the embed codes? And what do you mean about "file" it? Do you have a web page, blog or what?

Ron

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I think what they mean is they want to download the video from youtube and keep it on their PC to watch at a later stage instead of always watching it on youtube.

Am i correct catpoop?

catpoop

catpoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I want to transfer a video from youtube to Facebook.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I think what they mean is they want to download the video from youtube and keep it on their PC to watch at a later stage instead of always watching it on youtube.

Am i correct catpoop?

Appreciate the assist, but would like to get the answers to questions before continuing. As it stands, they want to put in on Facebook. Continue on with your help if you wish.

Ron

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah sorry to just barge in MajorPayne :)

However I do know of a website that does the job wonderfully, I am however not sure if the content on Youtube is proprietary.

Right now i am in Safe Mode due to malware that decided to get hold of my PC and firefox doesn't have my bookmarks :)

When I get back into normal mode I will read YouTube's disclaimer or try find something about the downloading of videos, surely if they wanted you to download it, they would give you the source file from a server?

Also, half the applications you see labelled "YouTube downloader" "YouTube Spider" etc are viruses so please do not download them and click on them unless you are 100% sure the file is legit.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
OK i am back in normal mode,

Quickly browsed through YouTube but i didn't see anything...

Here is the site i use to keep my videos

http://keepvid.com/

It's about the best site i can find that actually works! Just follow the onscreen instructions and remember to change your file name :)

You do also get an FLV player that works the best instead of changing the file to a .avi file with yet another 'suspicious' "YouTube flv to avi converter" or something like that.

Good Luck :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I think there's a mis-communication here. The YouTube videos that you can use already come with the embed codes on their page for that particular video. Some require a free registration to maybe Email. Don't remember, but YouTube's policy makes no difference as to what it says when THEY give you the codes to use in a web page, blog or forum. They make it as easy as possible to even load the videos into StumbleOn, ClipMark, etc..

The only concern about downloading the video is whether or not the codes are present on their pages for you to use. If they are, then you can download and use just the video if you know how to do so. Afterall, YouTube's proprietary mark is on those videos and even some of those videos have their own trademarks. Ownership issues can get very messy when situations like this arise where more then one trademark is present. There have only been a few law suits brought against YouTube and videos have been pulled. Much too late to catch all the other identical videos that may have been posted or emailed.

Ron

Ron

catpoop

catpoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
What I really need to know is all the steps required to file the video in my computer.Keep in mind that I am a computer beginner. lol
Thanx!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Sorry for getting back so late. Do you by any chance have Firefox with the Web Develop tools extension? It would be quick and easy to find the file to download to your computer if you do. Otherwise, just make a folder named "My Video" or whatever you want to name it. Then go to the site. You will have to view the source code. Use Ctrl+F, enter word object or embed to find the object and/or embed tags assuming they haven't put the video on the page via JavaScript. Look for the href="file name.swf" or src="file name.swf" file.

Here's where it may get tricky depending on how the file name is listed. If a full path to it, then you're good to go. If just the file name, like blahblah.swf is listed, then copy and past this at the end of the URL folder you are current looking at in your browser. If it's something like http://www.url_here....s/blahblah.html, then remove the blahblah.html and replace it with the videos name. Once it comes up and plays in your browsers window, do a Ctrl+S and save it to the folder My Videos. There you have it on your computer. Just keep in mind any copyrights.

Hope I got all that right and I'm on the way to my turkey dinner now. :)

Ron