Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Address Conflict

• Please log in to reply

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

I have a problem with my home wireless network.
I want to run two laptops, or maybe 3 (but lets say 2 for now) on the network however my IP address is provided by my local ISP - billing and payments to the ISP are calculated using the IP address (so I have 10.68.3.204 but my nextdoor neighbour may be using 10.68.3.227 for example, I am identified as 3.204).
The connection comes in to the apartment by cable and into an Access Point (D-Link). Right now everything is fine because I'm only using one laptop, however when I switch the 2nd one on, using the same TCP/IP settings, I get an IP conflict and the second one won't work.
Is there any way I can use two laptops on this home network using the D-Link Access Point but not interfering with the settings provided by my ISP.

Here are the settings I have in my TCP/IP options for the wireless card:

IP Address: 10.68.3.204
Subnet: 255.0.0.0
Standard Gateway: 10.68.0.1

Primary DNS: 80.93.176.182
Secondary DNS: 80.93.176.22

Thanks for your help.
Adam

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A network can only have one computer on one IP address.
Therefore if you're using exactly the same IP address on two computers, it won't work.
An IP address in the range 10.x.x.x is reserved for internal networks like this so changing the last number from anywhere between 1 and 255 (but not 204) should solve the issue.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the reply...seems simple enough, but the IP address is assigned by my ISP, therefore I guess if I want to use another computer they'll need to assign another IP and therefore charge me again?

Is it not possible for my access point to connect using that IP address (to the ISP) and for the access point itself to provide local IP addresses to the PCs in my apartment?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The 10.x.x.x is not assigned by your ISP. The 10.x.x.x address can be assigned by the router that your access point is connected to, however you are using static IP addresses.
Your physical IP address will be a far higher number - http://www.whatsmyip.org/ will tell you what it is.

Edited by Neil Jones, 19 November 2007 - 04:48 PM.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ah, this is now starting to make more sense.

Right, I've tried punching in any IP address within the range you suggested and while I no longer get the conflict, I don't get internet access. Unfortunately I don't have any access to the router itself - so does the IP address I specify have to correspond with the IP the router is specifying?

Thanks again
Adam

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
A lot depends on how the router has been set up.
If its been set up to only provider Internet access on two IP addresses, then you're out of luck.
However most routers are set up to provide IPs in a certain range but with no access to the router there's unfortunately not a lot you can do.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with all the info you've given...you're going to need to call your ISP to see what their policy on multiple PC's on one connection is....it looks like they might discourage such a thing (otherwise they wouldn't be assigning you a static ip address and billing you by IP)...you'll probably need to pay extra to get the second machine connected

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I know that to use a router with my modem, I had to clone the MAC address to get the modem to talk to the router... then I set up a home network based on the router.