Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading to 8800GT

• Please log in to reply

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello,
i have "Intel D945GTP" mainboard,and i was to buy the 8800GT until i noticed some people says that this card wont fit some boards due to pci express 2.0,
what makes me afraid and think,is this link from ASUS:
http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

I need ur help to see if this motherboard gonna accept this VGA card?is there anybody tried this?

Thanx alot,i'll appreciate it.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you give me the model number of your motherboard. As long as you have PCIe slots, there should be no problem.
James

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi man,
i wrote the model :)

heres the MB web page:
http://www.intel.com...45gtp/index.htm

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Wow, just wow. :) Don't know how I missed that sorry.
Yes, the 8800GT will work with this motherboard.

Do you know the model number of your PSU?
James

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hey,
how did u know it gonna work?plz tell me?

the PSU is 500 WATT..so iam ok with it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
PCIe x16 2.0 is backwards compatible with PCIe x16, which you have.

How many amps do you have on your 12V rail, do you know the model number of your PSU?

James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 02:08 PM.

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
so is there PC x16 1.0 ??cause some people is saying it wont work.

This what is written on the PSU:
+12V1 = 16A
+12V2 = 18A

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Here is a direct quote from anandtech (a computer review site)

The transition to PCIe 2.0 won't be anything like the move from AGP to PCIe. The cards and motherboards are backwards and forwards compatible. PCIe 1.0 and 1.1 compliant cards can be plugged into a PCIe 2.0 motherboard, and PCIe 2.0 cards can be plugged into older motherboards. This leaves us with zero impact on the consumer due to PCIe 2.0, in more ways than one.

Trust me, it will work.
James

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi james,
i read it,but this site makes me crazy to [bleep]!!
look:
http://translate.goo...t...en&ie=UTF-8

from a dutch site,ctrl+f and write 945 u gonna see it is 1.0a!!!
what do u think?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes I do see that you have 1.0a.
But if you read that persons post closely, you can tell he himself is questioning his judgment, saying that none could work or 80% could work.
What these people seem to be doing is evaluating whats on paper, which isn't always the case in real life.
To be honest with you, this is the first time I have heard of this possible issue.
If I were you, I'd try to contact someone that has used a PCI 2.0 GPU on a 1.0a slot, as a lot of the information seems to contridict itself and at this point I couldn't give you an answer.
James

Mohammadov

Mohammadov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi james,
well BFG answerd:

Mohammadov,
The 8800 GT will not work in a PCI-Express 1.0 slot. We have asked the
engineers to look into this.

Thank you,
Tim S
BFG Support

so the 1.0a wont let the PCI x16 2.0 work!but who shall i ask or call to know if this motherboard is 1.1 or 1.0a??
can u know?any company around?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello again,
I'm going to try to get into contact with some manufactures this week if I have a moment, as many people will want to know this as well.
I have a busy week ahead of me so I might forget about this, would you mind bumping this thread tuesday so that I can keep you updated (and to be sure I'm staying on task).
I still believe that this card should go into your motherboard without a problem as many people would be on a motherboard similar to your, not to mention a huge public out cry. Also think about it this way, if PCIe 2.0 was not backwards compatible nVidia/ATI would be severaly limiting their possible market for these cards.
Till I see conclusive evidence I really don't want to suggest anything, partly due to this conflicting evidence you keep finding, compared to what I have seen as of late.

Right now the only major difference between the two slots 1.x and 2.0 is the difference in bandwidth and increase in watts that can be supplied through the slot. Both of which are not factors yet.

I think it will work, but want to confirm this.
James