Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why does it take 4:04 sec. for computer start-up?

• Please log in to reply

dpends

dpends

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
My Toshiba MX 40 Laptop (WinXP Ser.Pack 2; Norton 360 and Spysweeper) takes4 minutes and 04 seconds to load at Start-Up. It has had a full virus check recently (it did have a virus and (trojan) which Symantec (for a fee of course) removed. They virus checked it and said it was clean. Spy Sweeper with anti-virus has also checked it ... no virus.
I have no idea how to speed up the load-time or what is slowing it down so badly.
Are their any things I can do to put it back to the load time it originally had (with Norton and many of the programs still on it)?
Any suggestions from YOU would be appreciated.
With Thanks

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I would check to see if your Primary IDE Channel is stuck in PIO mode. Go to "Start" then "Run", type in devmgmt.msc. Then expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and check the properties of the Primary IDE Channel, under the Advanced tab the current transfer mode should be Ultra DMA, if it is PIO only then uninstall the Primary IDE Channel and reboot Windows and it will reinstall it with the proper DMA settings.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks for the reply. Took your advice but found out all is well on that front (it is ultra DMA).

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Perhaps, you could run "services.msc" from Start: Run and try to disable any and all services that you don't need, like Indexing.

Furthermore, from there, you could see what services are running at startup and which ones could be hogging the start-up time.

Finally, you could try downloading O&O Defrag and see if running this program might help speed up your computer.

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Five suggestions:

http://www.microsoft...g_id=10073XPHb1

JKdefrag is very good:

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Check msconfig for what is starting up that does not need to be.
Some things like messenger, adobe speed reader, Itunes, Windows media player, etc.