Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Portable/External Hard Drive not found

• Please log in to reply

tiomasai

tiomasai

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

My portable hard drive had fallen off a table and then stopped working. It makes a clicking noise and also is not recognized by my laptop anymore. Someone told me to drop it and see if it goes back to normal -- I did that, and it's still the same.

I am debating using data recovery software and/or freezing the item, but don't want to risk losing the data on it as it's quite important to me.

Any thoughts on this, or should I spend the mucho dollars for data recovery professionals?

Thanks much!

Trina

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dropping hard drives once and by accident is unfortunate, dropping them a second time on purpose is madness.
A drive is made up of mechanical bits, and once you drop said drive, you run the risk of the mechanics crashing into each other, scratching the platters of the drive and rendering it unusable from a software point of view. Freezing it may be an urban legend but with good results in some circumstances. Not something I'd recommend though.
Even sending it away is no guarantee of being able to get anything back but costs mount up.
You may be able to use freeware data recovery software but again there are no guarantees.