Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan stuck on High Speed

• Please log in to reply

marsland

marsland

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a Dell 4600C mini tower with a variable speed CPU fan. I understand that as the CPU cycles cranks up and the CPU gets hotter, the fan speed will increase. I am used to processes getting stuck on 100% jacking up the fan speed and noise. When I go into the windows task manager and delete the process, the fan speed immediately starts to slow.

Yesterday, I came home and the fan was on high speed (I could tell by the loud noise). I found no stuck processes. I rebooted, and the fan noise was still high speed.

I opened up the case and vacuumed it out (not a lot of dust; certainly nothing caked). I scrubbed the fan blades and blew out the hit sink below it. Upon reboot, the fan was immediately loud. Cold machine, fast fan; something's busted....

One perhaps unrelated incident is I used Registry Mechanic to clean my Registry last week. Doesn't seem to be any direct tie in to the fan, but I throw that out, just in case.

So is this a fan replacement? Or is there some thermal control that has gone wacko?

Thanks.

John

Advertisements

marsland

marsland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well... the dell online chat technical support guy convinced me to replace the fan. So for $30 i'm willing to give it a go. We'll see what happens.. .update in 3 days.

John

cchotlanta

cchotlanta

• Pip
  • 2 posts

well... the dell online chat technical support guy convinced me to replace the fan. So for $30 i'm willing to give it a go. We'll see what happens.. .update in 3 days.

John

John --

What were your results? I've just started having the same problem.

Thanks! ~Carol~

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
have either of you tried installing 'speedfan' and try setting the speed manually?

speedfan even has dell-specific support...

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

cchotlanta

cchotlanta

• Pip
  • 2 posts

have either of you tried installing 'speedfan' and try setting the speed manually?

speedfan even has dell-specific support...

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Actually, I did try this, but can't seem to get it to register anything except system info and S.M.A.R.T statistics. It sees two fans at 0%, no temp information, and can't get to chart anything at all. I'm doing something wrong, or I've got a bigger problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! ~Carol~

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
did you tick the 'dell support' box in the config? its needed to get dells to work properly...