Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No difference after upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

Caseyb

Caseyb

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello,

I recently upgraded the RAM in my system. I originally had 1GB (512 x 2 DIMMS) and bought another 1GB (512 x 2 DIMMS) and installed it. After installing the new RAM, I noticed that my computer was actually running slower and less stable than with 1GB. My motherboard has a capacity of 4GB and is dual channel capable. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this may be happening?

Thank you.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It might be that there is some incompatability between the new and the old mdules or between the motherboard and the new modules or between one of the new modules and the others. When you buy two modules it's always better to buy them as a matching set. It's a little bit more expensive but can save problems.

1: Try to set the BIOS to default values.
2: Check if dual channeling is enabled in the BIOS.
3: Run the computer with the new modules only. Start with one and see if the computer is stable. If yes, add the other one and check again. If all is well add the old modules.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I bought the same RAM set that I already had installed. Both sets are Crucial 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC 3200). How do I go about changing the BIOS?

Thanks!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot the computer and enter into the BIOS tables by repeatedly tapping the del or F2 keys. Sometimes it's another key. If you do not succeed, please press the Pause key as soon as you see the first boot screen. Read and follow the instructions about how to enter Setup.

Have you tried step 3 of my previous post?

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Yes I have tried that. They both seemed stable.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
As stupid as this sounds, many boards have engineering problems.
There are many boards out there that have 4 slots, but naturally have stability issues (with all four slots filled) and also potentially limit your overclock (if you take this path). It's for this reason that I recommend people use 2 slots opposed to four if possible.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 December 2007 - 12:08 AM.

Caseyb

Caseyb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
That may definitely be the problem. Thank you.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
A few years ago a friend of mine had a very similar problem but he reported that after re-installing his Windows system, everything was much better. I don't know why that would be, though, but he was a happy camper. I had no issues when I upgraded.

kenichi_kun

kenichi_kun

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
If you have an AMD system then your ram should have been downclocked to 333MHz instead of the 400MHz it should be running at stock. Going from 1gb of 2x512mb will be faster than 4x512mb because of being downclocked to 333MHz and running in 2T compared to the 2x512mb that runs at 400Mhz and at 1T. So no difference will be apparent, now if you had went with 2x1gb ram sticks then you would notice about 5 to 25% tops performance difference. Well thats my 2 cents from experience. Good luck!!