Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows User Account Desktop

• Please log in to reply

fstech

fstech

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm stumped by what is happening to one of the user accounts I manage. It started Monday of last week and is still happening. The user logs on and a bunch of temp files show up on the user's desktop on Windows XP and ultimately in the profile on the 2k3 server. I cannot get them to go away. They are in the general format of prf38c.tmp and upon opening them in notepad all I see are a bunch of jumbled characters and a file path to the Windows sound controller app.

Anyone have ideas on how to stop these files from showing up on my desktop? I've manually deleted them from the account and from the server. This particular account is used on about 20-30 computers at once as it is a general lab account for K-2 classes.

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
The profile is simply corrupted, these things happen. try deleting that profile entirely, and let the network load a fresh one from the default user.

If that profile had customizations, you'll have to re-do them... but as such, this is the quickest and -as far as I know- the only guaranteed fix. delete the contents of the roaming profile's folder, and let it load again.

(be sure nobody is logged in as that user account when you try this, or the corrupted profile will be re-uploaded to the DC once that person logs off.)

Good Luck.

fstech

fstech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for letting me know, I'll do this when I go back Monday.

fstech

fstech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Worked, thanks

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Glad it worked out, you're quite welcome. :)