Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD DVD/ROM not working on laptop

• Please log in to reply

wayne8

wayne8

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all

Hope someone can help me.
I have a HP dv8000 laptop, running XP and cannot see my cd/dvd rom in the "my computer" section. I go to device manager and it says its there all working well.
I have no idea what to do next

look forward to a reply

Cheers

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello wayne8,

You can check to see if there are filters set on the drive. The following MS KB will show you how to check for and resolve this issue:
You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Regards,

Ax

wayne8

wayne8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for the reply, i went to that link, and followed the instructions and do not have lower filters or upper filters in the right hand side.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Could you tell me when you first started having this problem?
Did you change any software or hardware prior to the issue?
Did you install any Window Updates before it started occurring?

If the drive is removeable, try making sure that it is securely seated into its slot and restart your computer.

If after all this it is still not working, I'd like to check a registry setting. The following instructions will query the registry for a specific key, copy the results to a text file in the temp directory, display the text file for you, and delete the text file from the temp directory:
Go to Start | Run and enter the following command (copy-paste it):
cmd /k reg query HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer /s > %temp%\Reg.txt && notepad %temp%\Reg.txt && del %temp%\Reg.txt && exit
Press Enter after entering the command and then select the text that appears in notepad (Ctrl-A), copy it (Ctrl-C), and paste it (Ctrl-V) in your next response. You can close notepad and the file will be deleted from the temp directory.

Please put the text in code tags ([code] and [/code]) for better readability. If all is well, your text should appear as follows:
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
	NoDriveTypeAutoRun	REG_DWORD	0x91

Regards,

Ax

wayne8

wayne8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
	NoDriveTypeAutoRun	REG_DWORD	0x91

started having this problem over a month ago
recently got blue screen and had to recover my system by a cd i had to make, recovered system using the disk, CD drive working fine then, but not long after that i wasnt able to use CD/dvd drive.
and havnt made any windows updates, or installed or removed anything since.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
That looks good. Thanks for the additional information. You can try uninstalling/reinstalling the driver. Here's the troubleshooting page from HP for your product:
HP Notebook PCs -  Troubleshooting Optical Drive Detection Problems

If you need the driver, here's your system's drivers page:
Software & Driver downloads HP Pavilion dv8000 CTO Notebook PC

I'd also strongly suggest that you completely update Windows so that you don't get infected.

Let me know if this helps,

Ax

Edited by Ax238, 21 November 2007 - 11:49 AM.

wayne8

wayne8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I went in to device manager and noticed i now have a ! next to my cd drive.

this is the message is shows

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

UPDATE
I went in the registry and noticed there was a lowerfilters in there i deleted it restarted computer, the (!) has now dissapeard and it says the device is working fine again but still no drive in mycomputer

Edited by wayne8, 22 November 2007 - 02:22 AM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Good job working out that error. Have you attempted going through the HP troubleshooter yet? Also, were you able to update your driver using the HP link?

Edited by Ax238, 23 November 2007 - 09:24 AM.