Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rockwell modem driver

• Please log in to reply

cc2001

cc2001

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Could someone tell me where to find the correct driver for this modem

Rockwell HCF 56k Speakerphone pci modem

it is on an hp desktop with win 98 se

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Advertisements

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Go to http://www.driverguide.com
and use

username temp
password 512

and then search for it hope that helped you out.

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello,

I found a generic driver at conexant.com but the setup program will not run. Have you ever run into this?

thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, these conexant/rockwell HCF modems are an absolute pain in the butt when it comes to drivers. Theres so many of them because lots of different manufacturers copied them.

If you are happy to take the modem out of the computer for a minute, look on the large square chip thats on the card itself. You should see some writing on it. This is often in the form of RHxxxx-SP or similar. (xxxx are numbers, the SP will vary).

If you can find it, then let me know what it reads. If in any doubt, just tell me everything thats written on the chip.

Also, look for any writing on the card itself (it may be on back or front of card) that indicates a manufacturer.
Eg a common one is Aztech MDP-3880.

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Chip says
Riptide
RAcc010
D7400-11
9848 B72908.3
Mexico

There are stickers on the other side but just numbers, no manufaturer.

Would they help?

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Chip says
Riptide
RAcc010
D7400-11
9848 B72908.3
Mexico

There are stickers on the other side but just numbers, no manufaturer.

Would they help?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Found it. Follow the link below to download the conexant Riptide win98 driver for HP Pavillions.

http://members.drive...driverid=114464

Let me know if it works.

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
i downloaded the files and unzipped them for the rockwell modem driver, but there is no setup program. How do I install it?

thanks
cc2001

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
With the modem in the system, boot windows up - if windows detects the card on start up, then follow the onscreen instructions in Add New Hardware Wizard.

If it has previously detected it but not installed it, then go to device manager & look for an entry called either 'pci communications device' or 'unknown device'. It should have a yellow exclaimation mark next to it. Double click on the entry to open its properties, then select to reinstall or update driver.

If neither of the above are applicable (ie win98 hasn't detected it & no listing in device manager) then goto control panel - modems & add new modem. Click the box labelled 'Don't detect modem. Select from list'

In all of these cases, when the wizard starts up & click on the 'have disk' button & direct windows to the location of your driver.

If you receive a message telling you that the driver wasn't written specifically for that device, ignore it & continue. It may that the driver is the wrong one, but often I find with conexant modems, you receive this message regardless so don't just assume the driver is wrong.

Once installed, go back to C/P & Modems. Click on the diagnostics tab, highlight the modem thats listed & click on the 'more info' button. If the modem is installed correctly, after a few seconds you will see a list of AT commands appear. Otherwise, you will get an error message.

Let me know how it goes.

cc2001

cc2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello
Installed the driver this morning, went to c/p and added the modem from the modem icon. The installation looked like it worked (the blue installation bar went across as to install it) and the final screen said the modem was set up succesfully. The pc is still unable to detect a modem when you try to dial up and the pci communication device in the control panel still has the yellow exclamation mark. The device manager does show however that there is a modem installed but when I try to get the properties it says "cant read port name from registry" Thanks for all your help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, couple of things come to mind here.
Firstly, out of interest, can you find out which com port the modem has been assigned to? (open the modems option in CP). Also the IRQ it has been assigned (go to the modem listed in device manager, right click - properties - resources.

These software modems are a sod at times because they connect via a virtual port (com 3, 4 or 5 normally).

I suggest that you physically remove the modem from the PC, boot up in safe mode (press F8 repeatedly after the post test & before windows starts to load. This will displayed a boot menu - select safe mode).
Go to device manager & remove the pci communication device, the installed modem & any additional copies of either (safe mode sometimes shows you hardware entries in DM that you don't normally see - often duplicate listings for one device etc).

Also, go to add/remove programs in CP & uninstall any modem related drivers/software that may be in there.

Shut down machine, reinsert modem & reboot normally.
Windows should now detect the modem, if it doesn't find the right driver automatically, then direct to the driver you downloaded, as you did last time. Do this from the wizard when the modem is first detected as opposed to cancelling it & installing it manually.