Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP logging off at boot up

• Please log in to reply

Jazz340

Jazz340

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. I signed up to this website for this problem and since I tried the other suggestions and nothing worked.

I was happily using my laptop 2 days ago when I suddenly got bombarded, and I mean bombarded with popups. I had extra icons appear on the desktop (windows live guard or something) and I had to tackle them all.

I consider myself quite au fait with this kind of thing and computers in general, since I have fiddled with them for 7 years quite intensely, and helped many others with hijack/spyware problems, but this one is unbelievable.

The system is always maintained with AVG, Spybot, Adaware and hijack this. I ran all of those. I'm on SP2. Ever since then, I've searched for extra antivirus things, and tried the replacement of wsaupdater with something ini.exe... I did that twice to no avail.

I can tell you the moment it happened and all went wrong. I had updated AVG, it found about 77 viruses by 6,000 files checked (incredible for my system since usually it finds nothing!) and I stopped it because it hung up for 45 minutes on one number, and I thought thats wrong (I am patient but 45 minutes?) anyway - it removed the files it had found. Then, I closed that box, and it said it found a trojan (win32 variants - and I did have vurtumonde - tried using that virtu remover but to no avail also) I said remove it, and a quick BSOD, with very little text which is unusual, then it restarted, and that is when the looping started.

I am at a loss, and formatting is not an option. I bought the laptop genuinely, everything is genuine - nothing of a cracked nature. I do, however, have a disk although it didn't come with the computer. It's one my gdad got from Microsoft, so I could have the files if your solution involved Windows Recovery.

I anxiously await any help from this loop of insanity!

Regards,

Dan.
(It does work when I go into Safe Mode, though!) :)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Use the XP cd and boot into the Recovery Console.

From there, run a chkdsk /r command.

Let it run through, remove the XP cd and re-boot.

Murray

Jazz340

Jazz340

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Done it.. didn't work. Forgot to mention I tried that. Said it found 1 or more things and fixed them.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. I am going to suggest you head over to the Malware Removal Forum. Make sure you tell them you can only get in through Safe Mode.

Have them take a look at your HiJackThis Thread.

Once it is deemed everything is okay, head back here if you are still having problems.

Murray

Jazz340

Jazz340

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I can't since I can't access the internet in safe mode, and I don't fancy writing the entire log on another computer!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are running XP correct?

In that case there is a "Safe Mode with Networking" which gets you on the net in Safe Mode.

Have you tried that boot option?

Murray

Jazz340

Jazz340

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ah, I always thought with Networking it meant you could connect to an internal network, not online!

I really never knew that. Thanks. I shall get on it right away...I do recognise a lot of it though, and I can tell you that the laptop was absolutely bombarded with stuff that won't show up on the scan - so I'm quite excited to get the solutions :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Boot using the Safe Mode with Networking and then head over to Malware Removal.

Murray

Jazz340

Jazz340

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did that a while ago and still waiting :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Good luck.

Murray