Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to deal with DLL files ?

• Please log in to reply

Maverick27

Maverick27

• Pip
  • 8 posts
What's the best way to deal with DLL files in order to make them redundant ?

Is it by DELETING or by RENAMING with a diff. file extension ?

I'm trying to get rid of 3 patches that i downloaded, & start the process all over again.

Thanks - Mave

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DLL files are redundant only when programs that use them are not installed anymore.
Needless to say, a lot of DLL files that come with Windows are common ones which a lot of programs use anyway, therefore purging them is asking for disaster.
According to Microsoft Guidelines, DLLs that are unique to a specific program should lie in the program's main installation folder, and any variations on common files are put into the System32 folder. When common files are used and/or installed (or replaced if newer), their usage count is increased by one in the registry, therefore removing said program knocks one off the count, but in the case of DLLs dumped in System32 they normally remain on the system as a safeguard.

Now having said all that, to make a DLL file redundant, you need to purge references (not every single entry, just key ones] to it from the registry and delete the file. If done incorrectly this can screw things up major big time so not something I'd really recommend doing. Next logical question what patches have you downloaded and what's the problem(s) with them?

Maverick27

Maverick27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Neil,

I'm trying to install a theme on Vista.

If you have the time, you might want to visit

Edit: To remove link not in keeping with our Terms of Use

...for the full story !

Perhaps, you might be able to shed more lightr on this matter, as the GLASS THEME looks AWESOME !!

Thanks - Mave

Edited by frantique, 19 November 2007 - 11:47 PM.