Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown update manager appears?

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I'm not sure if this belongs in a malware forum or not, but I tried to post a topic there, and was denied access. So here goes.... With my DSL service, I am provided with ETrust anti-spam and anti-virus programs with my other services. Every once in a while, I get a window that says" Insta Shield Update Manager" and it asks me if I want to install or run an update, etc. I called my DSL provider, and asked if it was any program of theirs that went with my aniti virus programs, and they said it wasn't.
I have never installed it, so it does not appear in add/remove programs to get rid of it. It's icon appears in the running programs (in lower right of my computer) once in a while too, but not always. When I click on it..it goes away. When I right click on it, I again get the "do I want to install", etc. It's more of a nusance, and I want to get rid of it, but am also cautious about deleting something I shouldn't too.
What is this thing, and how do I get rid of it?

I have an HP computer with XP Media edition 2005, and use IE.

Edited by bettei, 19 November 2007 - 01:49 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

That particular file could have been installed by any program you have installed on your system. It is simply asking if you want to install any available updates for that program.

What have you installed new just before this program started coming up?

Murray

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Boy, I can't think of anything...it's been happening for quite a while. I don't download very many things except my real virus and windows updates.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I see you have an HP system. It could also be that trying toinstall updates from the HP site.

If you want to be on the safe side, I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and follow the directions there.

Post a HiJackThis Log there and have them take a look for any nasties.

Murray

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
For some reason, I couldn't post in that forum. I wasn't allowed access to post there. Then I tried the live chat, and it said I would have to update a Java script, so I just backed up out of that too.

Thanks anyway.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If you're using the chat applet from this site, it will ask you to download something from Java in order to run it. There's nothing wrong with what you're installing, and it's necessary to use the chat function.

I get that installshield update manager periodically for different programs - for example, I have planning software that integrates with Outlook, and it's popping up right now to ask me if I want to download the newest updates for it. I've had it for other programs as well. The initial popup won't tell you what it's for, but it should tell you before installing what program it's trying to install updates for.

There should be no reason you can't post in the malware forum as long as you're a registered member, which you are.