Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate ships virus-laden hard drives

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

infoworld.com -- If you bought one of Seagate's Maxtor Basics consumer hard drives recently, check it for viruses. Especially if you're a gamer. Seagate is warning that a "small number" of its Maxtor Basics Personal Storage 3200 hard drives recently shipped with the Virus.Win32.AutoRun.ah virus, malicious software that "searches for passwords for online games and sends them to a server located in China," according to a note posted on the Seagate Web site. Only drives purchased since August 2007 are affected, Seagate said.

Source...

Ron

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Haha! Lucky me! I completely zero-filled my drive as soon as I bought it :)

But seriously, that's why there's GeekU :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Heck, how did that happen? :S

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Seagate's careless... the first three drives I bought all came with problems on them, so that's why I zero-filled my fourth drive as soon as I got it :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I am guessing that the drive is made in China. As with a lot of products we Americans buy that should be made in the good ole U.S. of A., foreign countries have their way with too many products and our government lacks control over what comes into the U.S.A.. That's why there was so much lead content and chemicals in toys, jewelry and food products coming from China lately.

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

I am guessing that the drive is made in China. As with a lot of products we Americans buy that should be made in the good ole U.S. of A., foreign countries have their way with too many products and our government lacks control over what comes into the U.S.A.. That's why there was so much lead content and chemicals in toys, jewelry and food products coming from China lately.

Ron

I know, we have the same problem with toys from China. They're terrible. Anyway, WD makes their hard-drives in China too (well, perhaps in Taiwan), and I've never had any major trouble with them.

People here always prefer local production; unfortunately Israel isn't that big, so we don't make any products here. Israel is mostly a high-tech country, Intel has a production factory (2 of them) here, as well as 5 development centers. Also other major companies have development centers here: Microsoft, Texas Instruments, Motorola, SAP, Amdocs, NICE, HP, Oracle and much more... But we don't really benefit from that production, do we?

What can be said that we have our own vegetables, fruit, olive oil, and of course the wine :) So most of the stuff we have here is imported, food is mostly locally made.

Perhaps it's possible to make local products in the US, but here it's impossible :)

DanZaMan4251

DanZaMan4251

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I had to repartition mine for mac, I won't have this problem will I?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If by "repartition" you mean wiped out the existing partitions and created all new ones, then no. When you wipe out a partition, you wipe out all information on a partition.

Course, you have a mac, so you have far bigger problems.