Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Officejet Pro 1170Cse

• Please log in to reply

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
The cable that hooks up to the desktop computer my printer was on obviously doesn't fit on a laptop and I need it to. The laptop I need it to hook up to is a Dell Inspiron 5160.

Not good with hardware (only with software :)), anybody willing to lend me a hand?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

From what I can tell, you need a parallel to USB adapter. This will allow you to connect a parallel printer (which the Officejet Pro 1170cse is) to a USB port on the laptop.

See the link below as an example of such an adapter:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812150015

When you connect the printer to the laptop, you should find that Windows recognises it OK & installs the driver for it. If you attempt to install the software that comes with the printer from HP however, you may find that it won't work because the software will be searching for a parallel device not a USB one.

Edited by Samm, 19 November 2007 - 07:23 PM.

Ness

Ness

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
From my experience the computers I've used the printer on already have the drivers and simply access them once I plug in the printer. I'm almost positive this laptop should have them too.

Now I have a new question for you, since you seem to be pretty smart. The screen on my laptop has recently made 3 thin (1-2 pixel) lines appear vertically. First it was 1, then it was 2. Today, a third one appeared. How much do you think it would cost me to send it in and have them fix the screen itself, possibly replacing it. Worth the money?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

To be honest, I have no idea how much a shop would charge you for repairing the screen. What may be an idea though, would be to also find out how much a replacement (new or refurbished) screen would be for your laptop & find out how much a shop would charge for swapping the screens over. A straight swap is usually fairly straight forward and therefore more like to carry a smaller labour charge. It's worth trying Ebay for a replacement screen - I've just had a look myself on Ebay and they're around $100 - $150.

Whether it's worth getting the laptop fixed obviously depends on how much a new laptop would cost you & how old your current one is. Hope this helps a bit