Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Background Issue

• Please log in to reply

micahg

micahg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, I've been scouring the net all day trying to figure out what's going on with my computer. For some reason when I enable Active Desktop a double image appears on my desktop. It's the same background image but it's shifted over about an inch and a half. When I disable Active Desktop it goes away, however, whenever I click and drag an icon around on the desktop, it reveals that shifted image under it and my desktop then looks all weird unless i refresh it.

Here is another interesting tid bit. When I click on "Log off" and everything fades to black and white, that shifted images appears.

I have no idea what's going on but it has been pretty frustrating. Anyone have a clue on how to fix this thing?

I've messed around in gpedit, visual effects in system properties, I dunno what else there is. help?

* New update. I've realized that my mouse can move off screen on the left side. It's not the whole left side though. It's not like a little off screen it's a lot of screen. Like it takes a couple of drags to bring it back over.

Any ideas? This is a laptop.

Edited by micahg, 20 November 2007 - 10:54 AM.

Advertisements

micahg

micahg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I figured it out!!

For those interested. Display Properties under the settings tab, there are 2 or 3 displays available, I have 3 options, only one was greyed out. This means I had two active displays (one of them being the underlying background shifted to the left). If you right click on one of them, you can choose to unattach one of them. Presto! No more underlying background!